New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just bought 1st Bike '88 Honda CBR400

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought 1st Bike '88 Honda CBR400

New to the UK biking scene as yet to do my test but it will be soon! I've found a bargain bike that has been dry stored for 10 years, just bought it last night & I would some advice on what I should change to make sure she is running smooth?

Already going to purchase new tyres, brake pads, spark plug and carbs need balancing, the oil filter, air filter, fuel pump, fuel tap and battery.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! Your list seems like a pretty good start.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 AM

Cheers!

Can anyone suggested where I can buy brake pads, fork seal kit etc for good price?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2016, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi mate
I'm gathering your bike is a super four

I have a 92 cb400 super four project big one. Great bike mate and for your first bike, well chosen as it will give you a great basis for your ability to ride.
Mate check especially front wheel bearings, steering head bearings and chain and sprockets.
I'm also in the process with all of our bikes and vehicles of taking all coolant out of them and changing over to "Evans Coolant" have a google of it and read up on it and you definitely cannot go wrong with it. The other thing I religiously run is a army/ injector cleaner additive. Lucas put out a product as well and it's called "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant" this is especially good product as it has a cleaner in it as well. Run a double dose through then drop back to normal dose each tank and again you will notice the difference it makes. I like fuel additives but and I stress I don't like oil additives.

I had a 400 four when I was a teenager as well. Bought it brand new, they had won bike of the year and was an amazing bit of gear, 400/4 super sports

Mate hold onto. Mine now is one of the bikes that we as a family will never part with. Lots of great memories will be made on her.

Again congratulations on your new bike but especially for your choice of bikes

Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 AM

Oh sorry
Even being in Australia we find David Silver Spares really good. Just google them and you will find pretty much everything you will need

Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Thanks Gaz I will keep these things in mind now as I'm starting to strip her down to see what's what, I'm going to give her the all round maintenance so I can ride around for the rest of the summer & then do all cosmetics in the winter. I should have my full licence in a few weeks so I've got lots to do!

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 AM

Well here she is then, I'll make sure I keep posted with progression pics too!

Attached Thumbnails Just bought 1st Bike '88 Honda CBR400-image.jpeg  
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride! Looks like a modern swingarm.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 AM

I've tried Putting photos on mate but I don't know if it's because I'm using an iPad or that I'm just at that age and can't quite get the steps to do it properly. I've tried many times and I think I have mastered it to be again and again reduced to idac stage. IDAC is a term I use frequently and it stands for ' idiots dunces and clowns'
I have three builds in progress at the moment, one of which is really doing my head in. The 1997 xv535 is a labour of love as doing a full nut and bolt rebuild on it especially tailored to my wife's requests and directions. I will be very happy when it's finished.
I have to admit it's a great feeling being married with two sons and going on full family rides.
I head off this week to the west coast of Australia to pick up my latest purchase which is a 2006 cbr1100xx super blackbird. I am led to believe as well that it's a limited edition. When I saw it come for sale I jumped at it real quick, had a mate go and look at it for me, and once I paid for it he took it back to his place. Not sure if it's unfortunate or a blessing but I fly over and ride back and it's just over 6700 kilometres from where I lick the bike up back to home.

Quick Reply: Just bought 1st Bike '88 Honda CBR400