New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First bike, why is honda better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike, why is honda better?

I'm looking to get my first bike, I just passed the MSF course a few weeks ago, and am planning to spend no more than $3000 my first bike.

I'm looking at:

2002 Honda CBR600F4i
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2003 Yamaha YZF600R
2004 Yamaha FZ6
----------------------------

The YZF has carbs, which I don't think I want, even though I've heard it has the most comfortable seat. "Like a sofa."

The FZ6 seems to be exactly what I am looking for, in the 2007+ model, which I can not afford.

Is the Suzuki seating more aggressive or less than the F4i?

Opinions? I know its a honda forum. I want to feel like I made the right choice by picking the F4i, my current pick of these 4 models, which seems to change every day...

Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well being a Honda forum, we're going to be biased of course. But there is one unbiased opinion I've heard about Honda motorcycles: They're near bulletproof.

Looking at my own 95 F3, I'm surprised it actually ran. But all it really needed to crank and run after 2 years of sitting outdoors was a new set of spark plugs and new gas. Going beyond that (cleaning the carbs, raising the height ect) I found so many signs of mechanic incompetence I dropped more than a few rants on here. But she still ran. And to be honest, I've yet to find a major mechanical issue.

Buying a used bike, that'll be important. You'll hate missing perfect riding days because your bike is down again because it's not considerate enough to fail all at once.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Maybe I want to be persueded

To make my question simpler.

Say I find:

An '02 F4i for $2700 with 25,000 miles
and
An '04 FZ6 for $2700 with 25,000 miles

just for example, what are the pros/cons of each?

They've both got FI, both 599cc, both Liquid Cooled, both have 6 speed gear boxes... Whats different??

Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Hmm... Might be difficult fiinding someone here that can answer for the FZ6. I told you why I will choose Honda from now till they stop making bikes: low maintenance. When getting a bike with no warrantee protecting it, that's a big priority. At 25k miles, the Honda will have another 25k miles to go if it was taken care of in any somewhat consistent manner. And if the previous owner really took care of it, it barely finished cutting its teeth.

Hondas tend to be good all-around bikes, not leaning towards any one type of riding (street, race, twisties ect). For a new rider that's also very important. You'll have a lot of things to get used to, things to learn about riding in general. A bike that overperforms in one category and then underperforms in another is adding more variables to the learning experience.

Comfort... Well my *** hurt 10 minutes into the MSF's riding portion and I was constantly standing every chance I got to stretch out. Granted it was on their 'cruisers' but I've never ever felt uncomfortable on my F3. And my next bike will likely be an F4I if I can nail the price I want (simply to get away from the carbed F3 despite all the fun I'm having wrenching it ).

If you want to be persuaded, think of some specific questions about what's important to you in your bike. Then post them in the F4i section. Oh yeah, that's another big plus:

You'll get the help you need from a bunch of CBR fanatics on this forum

P.S.
Cons: 2 specifically with the Hondas I really know of. And they're simple fixes. The voltage regulator / rectifier is undercooled and goes out pretty easily. Workaround is to grab a different one. And the cam chain tensioner was probably overcomplicated. Honda went with a hydraulic CCT which tends to fail over time. Solution is a $50 manual CCT that most guys get from Ape

Last edited by Kuroshio; 11-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it would really be up to you to decide which one feels better to you, and which one draws you to it...

I would get the F4i hands down, though. I don't like the styling of the FZ. The Honda just looks much better to me.... a little more agressive, full plastics, and has a storage compartment....LOL..
Plus, Honda has reliability down. Not saying that the FZ isn't reliable, but I know the Honda is for sure. (IF taken care of)

I've had hondas all my life, though. Maybe a little biased.

BTW, Welcome to CBRF!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks for listing those two cons for the Honda's. Now if the FZ guy's say there is nothing wrong with yammies, I KNOW they are lying! lol

Ah, good point about the storage compartment on the F4, I overlooked that! Although the undertail dual exhaust is pretty sick on the FZ...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM

CBR 600 F3. /biased.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Seems you have bikes picked out,600cc midrange Sportys,thats cool.

What are you moving up from?Riding experience etc.Dirt,road,moto-x ?
Interested to know,cheers.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Have fun , try to learn a few things about the F4i here in the trillion posts that are kicking around this place and above all , when you get your road bike , take care , take it easy and remember that no awards are handed out for crashing while trying to see how good you are in the first few years... ...
There is one award:
The Darwin Awards

Quick Reply: First bike, why is honda better?