New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike

Hi I'm new to the forum I'm 17 and I've ridden dirtbikes quads and dirtbikes since I was 10 and hoping to get a bike soon looking to spend about $2600 what could I get for this price? and is there anybody here from Illinois? I have a couple questions about getting my motorcycle liscense

Last edited by ridered92; 01-30-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CBRF, ridered!

For $2600, you could get a nice F3/F4, maybe even an older F4i. Here is an F3 in the chicago area that looks pretty nice. Here is another in the Madison area. (Looks to have aftermarket plastics/paint, tho??)
What I would do is look around on craigs list, ebay, or the local classifieds and see what's in your area. Then, if you aren't real familiar with what you're looking at, maybe take someone along who is. Basically look for strange rattles, leaks, smoke, misaligned parts, rash, odd paint, bent anything, etc. There are other tips on this site (and others) about buying used bikes.

As far as getting your license, look into the MSF program. Basically, it's a course you can take to get your license. Here is a list of places that have it: MSF Illinois
The MSF course in an invaluable resource and is highly recommended for a reason. I believe it is free in Illinois, and when you complete it, it satisfies the testing requirements for you to get your license (provided that you're over 18yrs old)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good move, Steve. I was thinkin' the same thing.

ridered, I'm sure there are some Illinois guys around that can give you some tips on licensing or maybe even bikes in your area. MSF is def the the way to go, though. Ill state U even does the course, I believe.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM

I'll ask my buddy who lives in southern IL about license requirements. Also I have a 96 F3 that I love. I bought mine for $1600 and only really having to put a couple hundred into it.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM

has anybody been pulled over while riding on just a permit? I am going to have to wait 3 months after I take the MSF to get my license and I know if I get a bike before then I'll probably end up riding it and just wondering what the consequences would be

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 AM

welcome! i know someone that was pulled over with just a permit and was let off but that was just one nice cop. this it not good advise but i rode by my self all the time and had no problems. just get the endorsement asap. i thought if i were to get pulled over i would say i was just heading home, my friends that i was riding with riding to fast and i didnt feel safe

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Welcome to the CBRF, ridered!

For $2600, you could get a nice F3/F4, maybe even an older F4i. Here is an F3 in the chicago area that looks pretty nice. Here is another in the Madison area. (Looks to have aftermarket plastics/paint, tho??)
I live in northern Illinois. That red bike in madison is very tempting to me. The price is right, to bad the season isn't.