New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

countersteering

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default countersteering

Hi,

I'm about to take the MSF course but I been researching alot about countersteering. I know you push right to go right and push left to go left. But my question is once you countersteer into the turn and start to lean, how do you pull the bike up from the lean once you are done going through the turn?

Do you steer away or towards the turn to bring the bike back up?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: countersteering

Technically, if you steer into the turn, the bike will come back up. But honestly, when you're actually riding you will find that you're not actually using the handlebars as much as simply leaning into and out of the turn. It becomes almost second nature very quickly. If you think about it while you're doing it, you're probably not paying attention to the most important aspect of motorcycling (other traffic).

Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: countersteering

You are entering say a fast left hander ..as you approach you torque (push left bar) the bars to the right in order to make the bike tilt over to the left .. you are now in the bend at full lean and your hands are relaxed on the bars ... the bike is now tracking with the bend.

To come back up you effectively torque the bars to the left (push right bar) ..ie opposite of what you did to enter the bend ..this will kick the bike back up ... I alwasy find decent S bends are great for learning counter steering :-) you switch from one lean to the other and can really feel the forces involved .. check out my counter steering post "corner fast ..don't crash!"

https://cbrforum.com/m_520088/tm.htm

Jules