Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you use countersteering ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use countersteering ?

As a new rider I'm curious how many experienced riders use this.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Default RE: Do you use countersteering ?

How do you turn without it?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Retired Moderator

Even if you don't use counter steering, you use counter steering. You should get a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David L. Hough. It is a GREAT book for anyone who rides. You can get it for about $20.00 with shipping from Amazon. Do yourself a favor...it explains all about counter steering, and everything else you want to know.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: telepathboy

How do you turn without it?
+1
o8

Old 10-12-2006, 10:10 PM

I don't think it's possible to ride a two-wheeled vehicle without countersteering - unless it has training wheels

Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 PM

I cant NOT use countersteering. as I understand the physical aspect of this stuff, if you're turning right, and you decided to turn the wheel right, BAM, your bike is straightening up, and going left now. its just how things work on bikes. now, as I ride, countersteering only seems to work above 20-25mph.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 AM
VP

yeah countersteering is acutally better known as a gyroscope...this is from howstuffworks.com

"The motorcycle's wheels act like gyroscopes and create gyroscopic forces when moving at speeds above five miles an hour. One of the most interesting effects related to a gyroscope is a phenomenon known as precession. When a force is applied perpendicular to a gyroscope's axis of rotation, the resulting motion is perpendicular to the input force. This motion is called precession, and it's what causes the steering in motorcycles to be counterintuitive. It's also why instructors often arm their beginning riders with a simple mnemonic: "Push left, turn left. Push right, turn right."

the whole article is here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/motorcycle.htm but the page I took the quote from is page 3.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:16 AM

yeah other than sub-10mph turns you can't ride without countersteering, most new riders just don't know they're doing it

Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 AM

If you think then you are doing something wrong. Just ride.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM

Don't let the name fool you... just because you are countersteering doesn't mean the front wheel of the bike will be turned across the centerline. Go buy a book that explains it well such as How to Ride a Motorcycle by Pat Hahn. After you have a few hundred miles under your belt read a more intermediate book such as Total Control by Lee Parks. I agree with Corey when he says to just ride, but if you practice proper technique you will be able to ride faster AND safer at the same time!

Quick Reply: Do you use countersteering ?