Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

conscious countersteering, what went wrong

Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conscious countersteering, what went wrong

hi im a new rider and i seen a video on counter steering here last night and i thought im trying that tomoro, so off i went and i couldnt believe how it works, i got to a roundabout and i was in the inside lane and tryed to use counter steering going around it but i just ended up on the roundabout i just cut through the edge of it and back onto the road, what went wrong did i not lean enough, also i keep thinking the back wheel is going to slide when doing it, any tips

Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gonna need some more info about what you did. And I'll highly recommend you take an MSF course (or the equivalent) and practice in parking lots.

On the info side how fast were you going? Did you turn wide or tight? Going thru what you did in your mind, what steps EXACTLY did you do?

And please, get off the live street. It is not the place to practice new things. Too many uncontrollable factors. A parking lot gives you space and a somewhat controllable environment.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Kuro couldn't have said it better.

You need to practice at low speeds in LARGE, OPEN parking lots
The slightest turn will give you a little dip. Keep practicing gradually getting faster and lower before taking it to the streets.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Push left>turn left, push right> turn right. Just think push, if you have to think about it at all.

Once you're into the lean, you quit pushing, the bike will stay at that lean. Then it's throttle to manage the rest, more throttle to go out, less to turn in.

+1 practice things like this in a parking lot. The wrong time to be confused, is when a car is coming, from the other direction.

Ern

Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 AM

Goin through it in my mind i was goin about 10 to 15mph i pushed left to turn left but i dont think i leaned into it enough i think i was depending on just the counter steering and didnt have enough power to, think i was scared to lean whyle counter steering incase the back wheel slid out on me, think thats what happined, i think i will go to a parking lot after that scare

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located? You really need to take a riding course.

As for what went wrong: Counter-steering doesn't work at that slow of a speed. At low speeds (about < 20 mph) pushing left turns the bike right

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Think when using term " pushing R/H " will confuse many new rider....it's rather said when in a lean, pushing the inside bar will increase the lean / pushing the outside bar less lean ....thus controlling your line when in a lean. i.e if you are leaning left, pushing right or leaning right pushing left.

But +1 Kuro & Ern....by no mean, don't practice such in public road when potential hazard may occur.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM

I think i'll just do what i was doing before i watched the videos as that was working the very best n i had no problems lol n i was a ok rider

Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM

The problem might be that you were thinking about it. Maybe you pushed too hard and that's where you went wrong. At slower speeds counter steering doesn't work well.

You naturally counter steer while riding. I never thought about it when I first started riding, but then I learned about counter steering and thought about it while riding, consciously tried to do it and it messed me up. But after going back to just riding, I was fine again.

I just paid attention to my riding after that and I noticed that I was doing. If you were fine riding before you started "thinking" about it, go back to that.

But like Kuro and Ern said, if you want to practice new things, do it in a controlled area, like the parking lots and stuff. Practicing on the road could potentially get you hurt.

As far as your tire sliding out from you, if you have good tires, they should be able to handle a lot more than you will throw at them. Minus gravel/sand or cold tires, which you shouldn't be riding hard on anyway. I just got my first bike two years ago, so I know how you feel being a new rider and all. I know being a new rider, you want to make sure you are learning good habits, but that comes with time. But if you have a MSF class or something similar to you, I HIGHLY recommend it. They are definitely worth it, and you learn a lot about riding and what you could potentially be doing wrong.

Good luck and stay safe. (And out of the roundabouts!!)

Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks guys you have really helped me with your advise, im really happy i found this cbr forum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: conscious countersteering, what went wrong