New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Complete newbie to bikes in general

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Complete newbie to bikes in general

Hi All,

I finally bought an F2 to work on, after years of wanting one, but it didn't stop there!

My history with bikes is a little embarrassing to say the least, but here it goes.

I really wanted to start riding a few years ago when I was in high school, but I lived in a house that did not allow bikes on the property. And I really, really wanted a CBR 600F2 So being hard headed, I went out and bought a bike anyway (an Interceptor 750, because I found a really good deal), with the idea that I could ride after a couple of friends taught me. Amazingly, I was not injured in my crash, but was seriously let down and thought that I would move on and forget about bikes in college. I fixed the bike with help from a friend and sold it.

After graduating, I didn't think about it much, and I wasn't really making enough to afford one anyway. I also didn't have a secure place to leave one.

But a few months ago, everything changed, and this feeling of wanting to ride just kind of exploded. I became financially stable and moved and got my own garage. I had been saving money from a lot of overtime that I had been working and it was like it all just came together. I also have been very fortunate in that I work with someone who is an expert bike mechanic on the side.

So I'm going to learn on a Ninja 250 while I am working on the F2's that I bought, because as much as I want to ride, I want to learn everything I can about maintaining and working on them.

I paid $750 for the first one, and it's in decent shape. We're working on replacing the needle jets in the carbs.

The second one looked kind of messy when I picked it up ($600), but other than the damage, it is actually in overall good shape.

The black one was a lucky find! For $400, I got a bike that runs, though the carbs need to be cleaned, because of lack of maintenance.

The last one made me want to cry when I walked up to it. Pieces of wire were holding parts together, and all of the F3 parts that they attempted to install were very poorly done. I wasn't sure at first, but for $200, I could at least tear it apart and not feel quite as guilty. When I started digging though, it was a real gem - The carbs and tank are dry and clean, the engine has only 20,000 miles on it, the rims and frame are in excellent shape, so I can use these in the other bikes where appropriate.

Needless to say, I am ecstatic about working on these bikes and can't hardly wait to one day ride them.

Hyperdyne

Attached Thumbnails Complete newbie to bikes in general-cbra1.jpg   Complete newbie to bikes in general-cbrb1.jpg   Complete newbie to bikes in general-cbrc.jpg   Complete newbie to bikes in general-cbrd.jpg   Complete newbie to bikes in general-3cbrs.jpg  

Last edited by Hyperdyne; 10-18-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Talk about jumping into collecting! And I saw the Cobra symbol on the 3rd one. Gonna cover it or add a G.I. Joe symbol to one of the others?

Welcome aboard

Old 10-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Welcome, you're name is the same as a guy over on the WERA bbs, so I wasn't sure if you were just bull****ting around or not.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Get to work. My boy started on a 250 and in about 90 days he was ready for the real deal. The 250 is a total blast because they are so easy to handle. It feels almost like a bicycle with an engine in pretty short order. For some reason if you let them sit for too long, you have to drain the carbs because the gas goes bad. Air must get to it and thicken it up.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Hyperdyne!
Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy for a while..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by abeer1
Welcome, you're name is the same as a guy over on the WERA bbs, so I wasn't sure if you were just bull****ting around or not.
Wow, that's actually an unfortunate coincidence 'Hyperdyne' is the name that I used all throughout college in real life - It's on my degree!

'Wow! Talk about jumping into collecting! And I saw the Cobra symbol on the 3rd one. Gonna cover it or add a G.I. Joe symbol to one of the others?'

What I'd like to do is to restore one of the bikes back to complete stock condition (the one with the purple gas tank is the closest) and customize two others. I ended up getting a whole bunch of OEM fairings with minor damage, if any, with the first three bikes.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome to CBRF!!
You've got quite the collection there,they'll keep you busy for awhile
Keep us posted on the rebuilds..would luv to see how the one you are putting back to stock condition turns out

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Good lord, that's definitely one way to jump in! Nothing like learning by doing, too. Welcome