New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Coming up a little short

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming up a little short

Hey guys I'm brand new to riding and as a matter of fact I got my first real ride on a public road today! I bought a 2005 cbr 600rr a little under a week ago. Earlier this morning I was able to get her out on the open road just begin to see what she can do. I loved every second of it. My only really complaint is I'm having a bit of a height issue. I'm 5'11 at 160 lbs but I can't seem to get a flat foot on the ground...this is becoming a problem because I can not maneuver the bike in neutral will sitting on it...at all. At my height and weight I didn't think it would be an issue but I think I've found a solution. If I were to lower the bike an inch or two I wouldn't be afraid of having to come to a complete stop (which me being a first time rider is probably a major problem). What are my options here?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try going to 5 Guys Burgers & Fries a couple times a week, lots of fried foods, especially pork, and dont forget whole milk & real butter. In a couple weeks the extra weight should squash the suspension down a little more, the reach to the ground will be a little closer.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:13 AM
Default For real?

That's your answer? Dude I'm a pretty average size for a 20 something year old, and your answer is just gain 30 lbs and then start riding your +$3000 investment? If getting fat is the only answer to riding sport bikes then I don't think u have any business on this forum will all do respect.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Relax, Frank is just having a bit of fun.

At 5 11, you should have no problem touching. Is the rear shock cranked up for a passenger?

Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 AM

IDK I'm brand new at all of this. I know nothing of motorcycles not to mention I got my permit on Tuesday. At this point I've almost dropped the bike several times due to an insufficient ability to stabilize myself. If this were to happen on a heavily trafficked road it could potentially be fatal.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 AM

Well then, since you cant take a joke, I'll be serious. Being that your new to the sport, maybe you should've bought a smaller, shorter, cheaper, and the most important, less powerful motorcycle, until you honed your skills. Since your so inexperienced, your going to drop it, more than once, thats just the way it going to be. I've been riding since I was 7 yrs old, 10 yrs later I have one of the most powerful, fastest bikes made, and I dropped it, in the garage, in the yard, in parking lots. And I also dropped it when it was moving at 60mph, twice. I was 5'8" and 170 lbs. Now with that being said, yes you can lower the bike. They make lowering links for the rear shock and you could pull your forks up through the clamps the same amount. The lower links a cheap as heck on ebay & and moving the forks cost nothing. But since you know nothing of motorcycles you'd have to pay a shop to do the modification. Now with that being said, a 600rr is a powerful bike, plain and simple. Way more powerful than most of our father ever rode, and they thought their bikes were fast. So a quick recap, you're going to drop it weather you lower it or not. And you're going to drop it while its moving, I just hope your inexperience dont get the best of you and your not moving too fast when you do. Most likely you will go through a turn and be afraid to lean the bike over as far as it needs to be and run off the road. Or you'll be going too fast and lock up the rear brake and not be able to stop instead of properly using the front brake, which I only use the front brake. So be careful for christ sake. PS did you hear about the fella who was serious all the time, his coworkers said tell us a joke you serious *****, so he says 'Knock Knock," they say 'Who's there', and he replies "Go F**k yourself". hahahahahahahaha

Last edited by coalminer frank; 06-10-2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Xcitement 711
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 AM

Look in the owner's manual for the stock setting for the rear shock. I think it should be on the 3rd notch from the bottom or something like that.

Either you are doing something wrong or the bike is set all wacky. You should have no problem touching the ground flat footed. You are just about my height and I have zero problems touching on my 929rr,(which is a little taller) or all the 600rr, RC51, 1000rr, or and other bike I have ridden.

Do you have unusually short legs for your height?

With that said, there is truth to what Frank said. There is a learning curve to this sport an usually ends up with the bike on it's side. Best case is that it happens in the driveway....

Did you take the basic rider course or get any training yet?
Take it slow and be careful, but not too slow. Being too tense and worried can be the cause of bad things.

Get the books or watch "A twist of the wrist" on youtube. Cheezy, but full of info.....

And... Welcome to the forum and 2 wheels! Lets see a pic or 2 of your ride. (pic may help figure out your height issue)
Be safe.

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
'Knock Knock," they say 'Who's there', and he replies "Go F**k yourself".
Wait....
"Go F**k yourself who?"

Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM

Ha nice. I didn't mean to come off as such a dick head I'm just freaking
out about this. I bought the link that allows for 1" or 3" of lowering.
Ideally I'd like to go 3" but I'm wondering if that's too much?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Avoid lowering it if you can. And if you must, go as little as possible. Changing the ride height will change how it handles and the axis point that the bike rotates on when turning...(blah blah blah).

Usually lowering is the lesser of evils for someone 4'10" that wants to ride. But again, at 5'11" you should have no issues at the height that Honda has spent billions of dollars and many years arriving at for that bike to perform at its best for 99% of riders.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 PM

Try not to lower it if you can, like 74demon says. The learning curve is very unforgiving. Im 48 years old, riding since I was 7, street riding a 16 (1 small crash), at 17 had the beast of a Honda V65 that threw me down the rode twice, all were my fault plain and simple. Learned alot, didnt crash again until I was racing CCS at Summit Point, 2 crashes on the track, my fault again. Now Im an old fart, kind of, doing track days on another Beast of a Honda CBR 1000rr, that I street ride also. Couldve crashed quite a few more times but I believe from the experience of track riding you learn the limits of a motorcycle and just how far it can be pushed. So when someone pulls out in front of you or a animal or an unexpected turn that tightens up I have the skills to adapt. Be safe, brother. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Coming up a little short