New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Climbing aboard the god ship CBR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Climbing aboard the god ship CBR

Hi All

Names Mike and I've riding bikes for longer than I care to remember and for the last 7 years it has been exclusively 2 wheels, 15-20k miles per year. Wonder if you can guess what my main steed is ;o)

Been toying with the idea of a second bike for some time now but lack of garage suggested not a good idea. Well that changed recently and then a chance conversation with a works colleague led to me being the owner of Mavis (reg is J***MVS) a 91 CBR600FM. He'ld owned her since 96 however she had been languishing in his garage since early 2006.

Turns out he had been meaning to fleabay or gumtree her for some time but never got around to it. Asked what he was looking for and he said £350 or nearest offer. I said how about £275 sight unseen and he accepted.

Bike was delivered from Cambridge to Aylesbury for the reasonable (well in my eyes) sum of £65. Looked good. Brakes weren't seized, discs were shiney, chain & sprockets were only changed less than a thousand miles ok. Bad points were missing LH mirror & a split screen from where a ladder had dropped on her (all replaced now). She's also missing the lower inner fairings (he never had them) and the fuse cover panel is held on with gaffer tape. Couple of minor scratches but overall for a 20 year old looking good. Oh & the choke lever has snapped off at some point but can be activated by using a small piece of metal such as a key)

Checked the oil & coolant levels, dropped in a new battery and thumbed the starter (using the old fuel in the tank). Fired into live then sputtered out. Checked fuel tap was on and tried a few more times, each time the same. Lifted the tank with the intention of checking fuel was coming out of the fuel tap and noticed that there was a vent pipe kinked.

Straightened that out, thumbed the starter again and yay she lives . Instantly settled into a nice steady tickover at around 1400rpm after blowing some spiders out of the can (Motad Nexxus sytem fitted).

Put some air in the tyres (no signs of sidewall cracking and they only needed 5-10 psi each) and gingerly dd some brake testing in the courtyard where I live. Managed to lock them up so can't be too bad ;o) There's also no signs of any weeping from the fork seals.

She's booked in for an MOT saturday and I cant wait to take her for a proper ride :-)

Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you got a deal Mike.

Lets see that Panhead too.

Bike is loooookin gooood. Sounds like you know what you're doing, but there is plenty of good advice to be had around here if you need it

Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

what a great , clean looking bike

welcome to CBRF

Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike. Mavis is a geat looking bike!

Sounds like you've got a great deal of experience w/ motorcycles. Good to add you to the collective! :-)

Welcome aboard.

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-08-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morning chaps.

Oh no doubt there will be questions as its my first CBR :-)

Nate, the main bikes a Pan Euro not a Panhead ;o)

On the Bealach Na Ba hairpins during a quick 1600 mile blat around Scotland last week

Not my video but what a stunning piece of road
Bealach Na Ba, although not my video

Last edited by PanMan; 07-08-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added link to youtube video
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hairpins & stunning road is right! ;-)

Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Thats one stunning piece of road, i used to be up around Loch Lomond quite a bit but in the car Scotland has some great tracks.

Supposed to be a good one not far from where I live at Hartside which is pretty popular with bikers. A friend keeps promising to take me up so i'll try get a few pics and see how it compares

Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Ahhh I was hoping for an old school panhead!! haha oh well that works too.

Great picture and that road looks pretty badass