General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the way to ship an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the way to ship an engine?

Hello there,
I have a buyer who is willing to buy an engine from my bike. But I have never shipped items like that. The biggest problem is how to crate the engine. Does anybody here have any experience in shipping such items? What is the least expensive method? I would prefer some company just come here and pick it up but I am not sure if its possible.
Thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"least expensive method?" Humm, I would suggest the least expensive method w/ *insurance*. In fact, I would REQUIRE insurance on a sale.

To this, I'd use UPS. Items are able to be insured & tracked (unlike some other low cost shippers). Too, in many areas, UPS will pick up such items...just depends on your area. Otherwise, you might have to go to the closest main hub to drop it off.

I'd prepare the shipment in one of two ways... Call a local automotive engine supplier/parts warehouse & ask if you can have one of their engine crates. Or, I'd ask your local motorcycle shop if you can have one of their bike shipping crates. My closest bike shop just throw these out. They are larger that what you need but are already built & ready to go. Some are wood framed, some are metal framed. You could even modify one to fit the size. Just rig up something for the engine to rest on, wrap it in plastic wrap, & secure it for shipping.

Either way, the buyer will be paying for shipping, so let him absorb the cost (I might would charge for the "handling", ie, your cost of doing business for the hassle of acquiring shipping materials.)

Good luck.

Last edited by gotcbr; 11-28-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Freight Company ............then get a pallet (heavy duty one) strap the motor to it
using plenty of strapping , then you can either flex plastic wrap the whole thing
or build a plywood box cover on top of the pallet. Put this way up and fragile stickers
on it and insure the crap out of it........so you and the buyer are covered and no one
loses a dime if the Freight Company drops it of a loading dock or runs it through
with with a fork lift truck..........don't laugh..........chit does happen
oh yeah an if the carbs are going with it

Take them off and send them separately bubble wrapped in a box via UPS, they
are not as tough as an engine casing.........any other bits that look like they'd
snap off should be taken off and sent with the carb's.

Last edited by Sprock; 11-28-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Well buyer pays shipping always. So the cost is on him, not you. Call UPS and USPS (they do freight shipping as well) and ask for the procedure.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 PM

OK, since this thread might be useful for somebody in future I will make some conclusions. I shipped my engine in plastic container bought at Walmart for 10 bucks. I put some padding inside and spayed several cans of foam. Worked just fabulous. Then I listed it on Uship and within minutes I started receiving offers from private drivers. One guy happened to be right by me. He picked my engine at my address in 2 days and delivered it to the buyers door the second day. 650 miles total. No need to drive to shipping hub. He put it on passenger seat of his Ford truck. I would say my engine traveled first class. LOL
Well, what I can say. To ship an engine was not that big deal as I thought. Then I would suggest not to use any big carriers lik UPS, Fedex, FA, YRC etc. Smaller private drivers will provide you with the best service and they will not drop or damage your freight cause their reputation and their business depends on feedback you will leave for them. You freight is fully insured and safe.
Thanks guys for great advices that helped me a lot. Here are some pics:

-

-

Last edited by desperado; 12-05-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I strap my motors to a standard shipping pallet and ship via YRC. Typically ~$150 to ship terminal to terminal. Call YRC, give them dimensions and weight (typically ~180 pounds for a 600cc motor and pallet) and tell them it is a class 150.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM

How much did you pay to ship the motor?

The motors I sell are complete from airbox down to headers... to heavy and big for a plastic tote .

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by lil_schmitty01
How much did you pay to ship the motor?

The motors I sell are complete from airbox down to headers... to heavy and big for a plastic tote .
That depends. I know some WERA guys ship motors via Fedex by packing them in cartoon boxes and spraying like 6-7 cans of foam. The cost is like 80 bucks they said! I picked Uship cause it was more convenient for me. The motor itself is actually not heavy at all. I think $150 is fair to ship an engine. But it all depends on millage. Mine was like 650 miles from me. Plus the cost of packaging. You can just strap it to palette of course. The guy who transported my motor put it on passenger seat of his truck. So it traveled first class. LOL. UPS, Fedex and other carriers do not really care about your cargo so they can drop it easily.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Default very good

Dayum ........that worked good ........seems like a viable method. Good job
man

Does it include the Uhaul blanket rental .............LOL (just kidding) .....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM

I'll have to check out fedex next time. I'm guessing since a complete motor is ~130-150 pounds the price will be super high.

My jet ski motor came in a similar fashion as you packaged yours. It was a short block and only weighed about 50 pounds.

Quick Reply: What is the way to ship an engine?