New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Buying a CBR 900RR as my first bike.. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
Always careful
Riding a 20 psi tyre isnt careful !!

Been riding more than 20 years and only recently own a 900.. Even then its one hell of a jump, not only power and speed but extra mass for deceleration and grip.. Every rider action is so much more important and carries much greater risk. No way in hell I would advise someone without a lot of miles to jump right on one. Sure they may be a 'last generation' big bike, but they still command total concentration and respect. To me a first bike is one thats far less likely to bite back.

Good luck and stay rubber side down.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 AM
October 2010 ROTM

Well I now have nearly 1,500 miles on the bike in this last month. Feel very comfortable on it, each day I ride it I still find myself learning new things, getting more comfortable leaning ..etc

My friend this past weekend got into a motorcycle accident on his orange SRAD. A girl decided to turn left as he was coming at her, he whacked her rear taillight and flew over the bike. Broke him arm in 2 places, and the bike is destroyed. (The car got pretty beat up as well).

Such is life I guess.

My bike is garaged for now. I really need a new chain and sprocket .. as well as the shock so to not risk it, I figured I'd keep it garaged till I can get that stuff done .. hopefully sometime next week.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 PM

One new guy (to the forum) to another, congrats on the bike; she is a definitely a beauty! That said, I've been riding nearly 30 years on numerous styles and sizes of machine. As a veteran rider, I have always, always, always recommended against new riders on big bikes. For no other reason than their lack of experience. Reading a book, no matter how well written, can not teach you how to ride. Being a passenger, regardless of how accomplished the driver in front of you might be, does not teach you how to ride. Only seat time can do that. Be smart, ride safe, and enjoy her for years to come!

By the way, the tail looks like it's for a K3-K4 (2003-2004) GSX-R1000. It could possibly be for the same-gen Gixxer 750, as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Hey man - that bike looks sexy as hell, but really - be careful with that power! I just started riding as well, (600f4)) and I wouldn't dream of getting anything bigger. In any case - Good luck to you, and be safe! Watch out for terrible drivers.

edit - wow, month old post. Sorry

Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to put my 2cents out there. I am also a brand new motorcycle rider and bought a CBR900RR as my first bike, before ever even riding a bike.
When I started shopping, I had been looking for a 600, mostly looking at GSX-R because my friend has one. I ended up finding a great deal on the CBR (a 96 with less than 13,000 miles, polished frame, few extras) and couldn't pass it up. And I figured it would save me from wanting to get a bigger bike next summer too.
I was very patient, learned how to ride, on my bike I might add, in a parking lot with my friend who had the GSX-R. Spent hours in parking lots, then took it out in the street after I thought I was ready. I was very patient and think that's the key. I wouldn't recommend buying that big of a bike for first time riders either, but depending on the person, I don't think it's a bad idea. I also took the MSF course and passed with flying colors, which I highly recommend to any new rider!
And now I can't get enough riding time in. I absolutely love it, and I regret not getting a bike 10 years ago.
I guess my point is, just be patient, get lots of practice in parking lots first, and if you can, take the MSF course, whether you're buying a 250 or a liter bike.

P.S. I'm also a bigger guy, 6', 230lbs, if I was smaller, I don't think I would have went with a 900, no matter how good a deal I was getting.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by kenenfuego
I know this is an old post, but just wanted to put my 2cents out there. I am also a brand new motorcycle rider and bought a CBR900RR as my first bike, before ever even riding a bike.
When I started shopping, I had been looking for a 600, mostly looking at GSX-R because my friend has one. I ended up finding a great deal on the CBR (a 96 with less than 13,000 miles, polished frame, few extras) and couldn't pass it up. And I figured it would save me from wanting to get a bigger bike next summer too.
I was very patient, learned how to ride, on my bike I might add, in a parking lot with my friend who had the GSX-R. Spent hours in parking lots, then took it out in the street after I thought I was ready. I was very patient and think that's the key. I wouldn't recommend buying that big of a bike for first time riders either, but depending on the person, I don't think it's a bad idea. I also took the MSF course and passed with flying colors, which I highly recommend to any new rider!
And now I can't get enough riding time in. I absolutely love it, and I regret not getting a bike 10 years ago.
I guess my point is, just be patient, get lots of practice in parking lots first, and if you can, take the MSF course, whether you're buying a 250 or a liter bike.

P.S. I'm also a bigger guy, 6', 230lbs, if I was smaller, I don't think I would have went with a 900, no matter how good a deal I was getting.
How did it go? Both still alive and enjoying your fireblade?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 AM
October 2010 ROTM

I'm still alive and kicking. Ended up selling the CBR after the first year.

Since then Ive had...
06' ZX6R
12' Z1000
10' XB9
07' R6
13' Ninja 300
12' ZX6R Track Bike

Just sold my track bike this year and am bikeless for now as I ended up getting my first house with my fiance. But yeah, the 900 didn't kill me.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
I'm still alive and kicking. Ended up selling the CBR after the first year.

Since then Ive had...
06' ZX6R
12' Z1000
10' XB9
07' R6
13' Ninja 300
12' ZX6R Track Bike

Just sold my track bike this year and am bikeless for now as I ended up getting my first house with my fiance. But yeah, the 900 didn't kill me.
Congratulations with the house and the fiance. May I ask if you can advice beginners to start with such a bike if they start out easy or what will you recommend ?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peter Stenov
How did it go? Both still alive and enjoying your fireblade?

Yes, still alive, but no longer have the CBR. I sold it last year and then bought a GSXR-750 from my friend. Unfortunately its sitting in garage needing some carb work done but should be ready to ride in a few weeks. I do miss my CBR though, and plan on getting a newer CBR1000RR when I trade in the GSXR.