New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

BRAND NEW rider any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAND NEW rider any tips?

Hey guys i'm VERY new to bikes and just got one last week. i've been riding as much as i can and am looking for any tips or things to pay attention for seeing as i'm new. as far as the bike goes, I just got a 1989 600 and I was completely surprised by the power and everything. i was nervous at first and am feeling more comfortable on it as the days pass, but definately respect the power it has. This really put things into perspective and made me really think about taking it slow and steady. I am really just into riding for now. not really stunting or racing since i'm new, but anways just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has any tips or things to look our for.

Thanks and I appreciate everything.

P.S. also i'm new to the whole forum thing...so any "definitions" of forum slang or shortucts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the joy of motorcycles. Sounds like you are starting off with the right attitude.
If you click on a lot of the other new rider posts you will see a lot of varied advice on beginner riding.
The main thing to keep in mind ...it takes a few thousand miles before muscle memory is sufficent to the task at hand, so go easy on speed. The basic act of riding a bike is simple, reacting smoothly and on time in a crisis is not. So, avoid the number one path to crisis, SPEED.

Try to be aware of not just where you are going, but what is happening at the sides of that path. Cars, people, animals tend to pop-up suddenly, so learn to detect and anticipate. If you are not surprised, you will not delay/hesitate in dealing with obstacles/threats as they occur.

Keep your bike in decent maintenance, at all times. Ensure that the bike isn't one of the problems to a safe/fun ride.

If you can afford it and they are available, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginner course in your area. Besides the valuable hands-on, it will lower your insurance rates.

Practice low-speed manuvering in a clean/empty parking lot. This is the hardest thing to get right. It is also (after speeding) the most likely way you will screw-up and dump your baby.

Leave your ego at home. Forget about impressing the babes. Odds are, you will only be demonstrating your skill at finding the fastest way to the emergency room. As a side note, don't ride 2-up until you have several thousand miles under your belt. It is like learning to ride all over again.

Good luck and happy trails, Ern.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there 1989cbr600F, congratulations on your new bike. MadHattr059 above posted some very excellent advice. The only thing I would add is to wear proper safety gear when you're riding. New riders oftentimes skimp on protective apparel due to financing, but it's at that early stage which you'll likely need it most, although it can happen to anyone at anytime. So get used to wearing ATGATT (search it, n00b), j/k lol.

Welcome to the Forum

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM

yeah +1. Find and take a MSF class asap.

That will be the best thing. It will give you the foundations for a long career of motorcycling. and help prevent you from killing yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

**** or GTFO.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM

MadHattr059 :
thanks for the great advice. noted:
baby steps....

Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

taking it slow and learning everything is a way to go.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't just take the MSF course and stop there. Keep learning, keep practicing. There are some really great books on riding technique that are almost must reads.

The minute you think you have nothing more to learn about riding, the clock starts ticking on that "One more hard lesson"

Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang! I always forget something. Yeah! +1 on the gear.

Minimum is always Helmet, always Gloves (what's the first thing you do when you fall? Put your hands out!).

Sturdy jeans (shorts DO NOT protect your knees, the other thing to usually beat the rest of you to the pavement) and ankle-height boots (tennies will strip right off your feet) are also highly recommended.

Leather jacket/pants or chaps are a forever investment, textiles are often a one-wreck pony (but they are cooler both physically and socially). A textile jacket can be a good entry level expense for the hip among us.

I prefer to haunt the goodwill/salvation army for all my leather needs (I picked up a bomber jacket for my wife for $6, perfect shape/quality). They carry a varity of styles too (obviously), so that boffo jacket with the mandrin collar is out there if you have the patience.

Ern

Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I just got my own helmet so I can give back the one im borrowing now...and Incognito is completely right about the financial issues and the gear...I really want a jacket but have to wait for the $$$...unless anyone knows of some less expensive jackets

also I just went and did some maneuverabilty today and yeah its a pain in the ***!! I was about 1 sec away from droppin her but managed to save it

Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM

like everyone said. take your time. I've only had my bike for a little over a month now. its my first bike as well. you will get used to it. but don't get brave and stupid bc the motorcycle can and will put you in your place. also check out craigslist for motorcycle gear. you will be amazed at what you can find. also if you can get into a group of riders, once you buddy up they will throw out good deals as well. I just picked up a $200 flow thru AlpineStars leather jacket for $50 bucks. it was hardly used. good luck and stay safe.