New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Brand new rider in the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new rider in the Bay Area

Hey everyone. Just created an account on the site but I don't have a CBR yet =[ I plan to get one in the next month or so once I find out how much I need to pay for tuition this semester but I'm not so sure if that will happen. A couple friends and I recently (yesterday) finished the CHP MSF motorcycle riders course so all we need to do is take the test to get our licenses and I've always wanted a CBR600 but one of my friends who took the class with me is constantly trying to convince me I'll die if I dont start with like a ninja 250r or something small like that. I will say I was consistently used as an example of what to do during the class so I'm hoping that means I have some sort of innate riding skills lol but I just don't know anymore my buds really getting to me.

AAAAaaannyway Just wanted to introduce myself and ask if you guys think I should start smaller or just go for a F2 or F3 CBR since there are a few cheaper one for sale in my area right now. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Also heres a pics of my car since it's a Honda and I feel stupid for not having a bike haha:

older pic:
Name:  VWzcV.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  25.4 KB

tuning valve cover

Last edited by MistahJuice; 07-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard!

It is recommended to new riders to start on a smaller cc bike til they learn basic riding techniques & safety. Then, once your experience level increases, to move up to a larger cc bike. That being said, that doesn't mean that you can't start on a 600cc machine. However, you need to recognize that things happen faster w/a larger machine & that they can be much less forgiving than a smaller bike. To that, it really depends on your maturity level as to whether starting on a 600cc bike is right for you. Its sounds as though you understand the dynamic involved. IF you start on a 600cc bike, you must *Ride Your Own Ride*. Become your own rider based on sound safety & learning at your own pace.

Good luck w/ your shopping.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. I felt confident with the Nighthawk they had me riding in the course. And I'm 6'3" at about 150lbs so I should be able to reach the ground easily on the CBR. I'm also not a speed demon or anything, still a little afraid of my first highway trip haha but I feel like I'd be fine on a 600, just wanted to know what people thought.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're thinking it through. Be sure to budget the gear into your scheme, though.
Especially being new to the game, you're gonna make mistakes. Don't pay-to-play,
by leaving your hide on the asphault. Your folks will appreciate knowing you're
taking it serious, too.

If you're going to be looking in the used market, it's a common (and excellent) idea
for members to post-up what their looking at. To solicit advice/recommendations on the
suitability/quality of the beast, before you plop down your hard-earned money.

Here's my newest gem on that front, a very comprehensive group-collective on what to
look for and consider, when thinking of/shopping for a used bike....

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Welcome, Ern

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah....+1 Ern & Gotcbr.......I usually budget 10% of the value into gears. Say if you are buying a $5000 bike, $500 for gears....so buy a $4500.00 bike. Leather suit, not birthday suit.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and riding some day...

Good luck finding a bike. If you want a 600, get a 600. Cars and hazards can kill you, no matter what your riding. It's just the way it is. At 6'3, a 250 will get lost under you...

Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 AM

Lol thanks for the advice guys. I've already got a helmet that I bought to take the class since our riding coach convinced us that the rental helmets are pretty gross haha. Also planning on getting a jacket, some thicker gloves and eventually boots, just gotta find stuff that feels right. If anyone has any opinions on the best gear I'm all ears.

Thanks you've definitely all made me feel much more confident in my choice. I will defintiely come back to this thread or throw up another thread when I've got the cash in hand for a bike. Also thanks for the evaluation guide, I'm gonna go read through that now

Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MistahJuice
...If anyone has any opinions on the best gear I'm all ears.
Take a look in the Riding Gear section for some tips & recommendations.

Originally Posted by MistahJuice
Thanks you've definitely all made me feel much more confident in my choice. I will defintiely come back to this thread or throw up another thread when I've got the cash in hand for a bike. Also thanks for the evaluation guide, I'm gonna go read through that now
Take your time & find the right bike. Don't get in a hurry but instead be methodical in your search & inspections. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM

nice civc welcome man i got civic too....i started with a 600 but became bord with it after a few months if u are a quick learner and a responsible rider u can start with a larger bike just take it very easy till u noe what ur capable of

Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the warms welcome guys, this is a very nice forum you've got here. I'm in the process of trying to remember all the stuff in the evaluation guide and looking through craigslist for some good bikes. I'm pretty good with cars but being my first bike it goes without saying that I've never worked on one before so I'll have to remember all of the mechanical stuff to look for. In the meanwhile one of my friends who took the class with me is getting a free 78 Yamaha 650 but it doesnt so that will be our first bike project haha.

Quick Reply: Brand new rider in the Bay Area