New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Battery drains

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery drains

I am new to this forum so Hi everyone .
I have brought a CBR1000F 1987 and I am having a problem starting it I have brought a new battery and check the regulator rectifier and that is reading fine on a meter. But when I try starting it it drains the battery before I know it was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas as to what the problem could be . I am not a mechanical person but know a bit to get things sorted . This is my first bike project and would be greatful of some help and to hear the engine running. So to any reply many many thanks

Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure if I understand correctly. So the bike turns over but won't fire up and soon after you run out of battery power to keep trying ?
First things first, you need to know if you have a spark at the plugs. No point in keep turning her over if you have no spark. You've obviously checked fuel etc.
What stage is this project at, have you heard it running at all ?

Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
Not sure if I understand correctly. So the bike turns over but won't fire up and soon after you run out of battery power to keep trying ?
First things first, you need to know if you have a spark at the plugs. No point in keep turning her over if you have no spark. You've obviously checked fuel etc.
What stage is this project at, have you heard it running at all ?
Thanks for showing so interest and getting bk.
I brought the bike and was told there was no spark. There is half a tank of fuel which I have put in new drained the bit that was in there out, as have checked it out and it has not been on the road for 2 years . I have put new spark plugs in and have checked them can't see a spark coming from them when I take the out and earth them and turn the engine over on all 4 of them, there is no spark. Not sure it could be the ignition coil so will get new ones then see from there . No i have not heard it running i know it is a gamble. A mate has had a look at the engine to some degree and said it looks ok but need to get it running first to get a full answer if u get me. It does not seem to be ceased. The project is at early stages only got it a week ago I can progress after I get it started and running. I hope this all makes some sense as it's easier talking face to face lol. I have tried looking on YouTube at videos about this but don't seem to find anything that breaks it all down for beginners. This is my first project I might sound stupid in what i am writing but we all have to start somewhere I am a bricklayer not a mechanic but eager to learn . Thanks for any reply' s

Old 06-15-2017, 01:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Firstly well one for having a go at your project.
Whilst waiting for your coils to turn up why not strip all he plastics off of her and give all the wiring a thorough check.
There's nothing lost doing this and you may either find something that would prevent your bike from starting or might do in the future. Faulty side stand switch, kill switch, regulator/ rectifier, there's plenty to check. It's important that you investigate thoroughly, like pulling back the rubber shrouds over connections to fully prove,and also, take your time.
If you haven't got one, get a cheap multimeter. It would be very useful under present circumstances and will allow you to do more than just physically check connections and wiring, you would be able to measure values and pin point faults. Might as well put he battery back on charge ready for your testing.
I fully understand you want her running as soon as possible but all of the above will help that to happen.
Keep on posting and the forum will get her back on the road.
Best of luck

Last edited by wes 17; 06-15-2017 at 01:45 AM.