The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Who likes guns?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job you didn't take a pot-shot at the shadowy shape at the window!

Why didn't the stupid *** ring the bell or knock on the door?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM

The hand thrower sounds challenging alright! We've thrown a few by hand for each other just for a laugh, but I'll stick to my spring loaded launcher. It only cost $100 AU and works great. We don't have a bunker so the person operating the trap has to be behind and far enough to one side so that the shooter doesn't cop a clay in the back of the head (I'm thinking up a whole new sport!). Our rules are that the shooter can't look where the clay is being loaded or see the elevation, so we mess with each others' heads with a few fake adjusting sound. Last time we shot, my son put one right at the end of the chute (half hanging out according to a visitor). I only saw it in the very corner of my eye and it never got higher than 1 metre. I got it just as it touched the top of the paddock grass! He was quite disappointed. We're going to our local club on Sunday for the monthly shoot and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as my next ride on the CBR...almost.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job you didn't take a pot-shot at the shadowy shape at the window!

Why didn't the stupid *** ring the bell or knock on the door?
Nope, I would NEVER....EVER... take a shot at a shadow.
Unless it's an obvious break-in (who has a gun), nobody gets shot.
Truthfully, the lucky part is that I didn't get shot by the cop. We have some trigger happy clowns out here... He didn't even see me, he was actually busy dialing my house phone.

As far as the door knock, I think that's the original "thud" I heard. After that, he was too busy on the radio to dispatch.....getting my phone number. I thought the same thing at first...but i think he tried...just not enough.

Dave,
I actually just bought a "real" thrower a few weeks ago. It's sitting in my garage, and I haven't even tried it yet. I usually just use the club's trap stations. It's cheap and easy. It's like $3 per round. I've noticed that clays seem to be going up in price around here. Even the big box stores are charging like $10 per 100. I remember when it was like $4.50/100. I got lucky at the end of last season, though, and got about 12 cases for $1.99 each on clearance. They'll be gone by the end of this summer, though..
Trap shooting is definately fun. Like you said....it's almost as fun as riding the CBR....

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM

I pay around $25 for a box of 140 clays and a half case (250 shells) of 7 1/2 shot is about $85. I could get cheaper but I like to support my local shop.
Our club is around 45km from home so it's a bit far just for a quick practice shoot. Also I kind of like shooting at home with only us and the occasional visitor. We're highly competitive with each other and bag each other out without mercy! My young bloke beat me at a club shoot once and later, when we got home, he heard me taking a leak in my en-suite and called out from up the hallway "hey Dad, are you sure you can hit that?" Little smart ar2e!! I beat him next shoot but anything could happen on Sunday.

Legal shooting age here I think is 11 (he's 13) so obviously I didn't start him at 5 years old with the air rifle, .22 at around 8, and 12G at probably 10ish...obviously I didn't?? The little bugger's good too. It's well funny to see him out shooting adults with years of experience..some of them clearly aren't as amused as I am though.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
It's strange to me how close the price is between here and Aus. I always pay about $25 per 100rnds of bulk 12 or 20ga shells. The price actually went down last week to $20, but still, very close.
I like to support my local guy here, too. (Within reason)
I have a couple great local guys. One shop is like a second home to me...

I prefer shooting at home, but I don't have much room anymore. I used to shoot at my dad's a lot, too, but the neighbor has horses everywhere now. My club is only 3mins from my house, though, and is open dawn till dusk, so I can shoot whenever I want. There is usually nobody there, and the place is really nice. They have a lake and everything.

Sounds like your kid has the right idea....
My kid isn't up to the challenge quite yet. I'm sure he'll get there in time, though. He's just getting used to it, and I'm definately no slouch. I've been shooting for as long as I can remember, and won't go down easy!
My right eye isn't as good as it used to be, but it hasn't seemed to hurt me too bad yet. Sometimes I feel it on the long shots with bigger rifles, though, especially with lower power scopes. Hasn't seemed to hurt my trap game yet though... (knock on wood)