The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What is the most extreme condition you have driven your bike....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the most extreme condition you have driven your bike....

Like the title says, im interested to hear what kinda conditions people have driven their bikes... Myself as a Finnish Biker have driven quite many times in cold weather (-30 celsius/-22fahrenheit i think) and in a 1.5 meters of snow few times... it took us more than hour to drive 50 meters in that amount of snow... But the cold is kinda easiy to handle in a true Ice Road Biker way...

Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've drafted an 18 wheeler in rain so hard cars were pulling over. Ridden 15 miles
in freezing sleet, beat a 1/4 inch of ice off my leathers to un-zip them when I got home.
Gotten caught in a pea-sized hail storm, and ridden 20 miles in 4" of snow.

That's about it for me. The hot (+118 doesn't count, I assume).

Ern

Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thirty five miles in a blizzard. Four inches of snow when I started, over six by the time I got home. Ridden in minus twenty F, in a hail storm that forced me to stop and lay over the tank to protect it. While I was laying over the tank I watched a poor little mouse struggling for cover. It kept getting knocked down by the hail. Rode one hundred miles while being followed by a thunderstorm. That was a godsend. My head light went out, and I rode home by lightening flashes.

Now I'm much older and won't ride in snow, extreme cold, thunderstorms or even temperatures over 100 F. Guess I'm a weenie.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Ive got two stories. One for each bike.

When I bought the 1000F I rdde it home from Newcastle, when near Goulburn I ran into what can only be described as something like the twilight zone. The wind was blowing that hard I had the bike at 45 degrees trying to keep it upright. It was so cold I couldnt feel my extremities.

Nearly 3 years ago while on my XX I rode home from a trip to the Great Ocean Road. It was 45 degrees at 11.30 in the morning and the XX ran at 100 degs C the whole way home. I have never rode in such heat in my life.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 PM

wow! you guys are hardcore! lol. I couldn't even imagine! when I went to Ride of The Century this year, the Friday night when we got there it wasn't really raining. but as we got closer in to St. Louis it started raining. we rode in and around town, ate at White Castle and when we headed back, we got caught in one hell of a rain storm! it sucked. we were all soaked. we had to stop under a bridge for a while bc it got so bad we couldn't even see 5 ft. in front of us. after it calmed down for a bit we took back off. had to stop at a wal mart bc one of the girls only brought one pair of shoes that got completely ruined and soaked from the rain. went in to walmart and I took my shoes and socks off and dried them with the hand dryer! lol. got back on the bikes and took off for the hotel. it was like a 35 minute ride back and I was glad to be wearing my leather riding jacket and leather winter gloves or I would have been a screwed pooch. I hope thats the worst weather I ever get caught in.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

over one of the swiss passes, snow drift's and -14 temp,, passes the width of a mini with 2000ftPlus drop's and no barriers,,, then when ya think that's bad, the wind build's up and it starts to rain,,and people are diving under cover to put on their wet's ,, within second's bikes are blown over and the rain empties the hardest i have seen in my life.

i rode on at about 10mph,, just kept going and going to get off the mountain.

frekin' loved it though. just to say i was there.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:11 AM

snow

Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Ive always thought we Finns are tought people when we drive around the year... but it seems that there is other tought people too... And im glad to know that they are riding Hondas too...

75. Päijänteen ympäriajo 2010 - YouTube

Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Hailstorm, pea to eyeball sized, it popped up in a hurry.......it was quite pleasant

Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the most extreme condition you have driven your bike....

On my pedal bike I've ridden 20 miles home from work when it was 7*F. Anything in the teens or below the shifters would freeze so once I got going I learned to quickly select a gear that I could be comfortable in for the rest of the ride, whether I was climbing a hill, riding on level ground or descending.

Then there was the pedal bike ride across Death Valley one July day on my way to the east coast. The official high for the day after I arrived in Yuma, AZ had been 125*F, according to the Weather Channel. I suspect it was even hotter than that out in the middle of the desert. Never again.

Coldest I've ever ridden a motorcycle was my old enduro many, many years ago. Actual temp was 7*F below zero. I took it out on the interstate for a few miles just to see how cold it would feel...and to see some of the funny reactions from people in their cars.

Quick Reply: What is the most extreme condition you have driven your bike....