The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here we go. I'm a traded TV engineer back in the valve/transistor days. Now I'm a labourer/Driver/HandyMan with a city bus company, also build and *repair* pc's/lappys and have a go at anything that's electrical.

** and there was me asking about a javascript problem**

Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys we all got good jobs, hell in this time just glad to have one!
I can't argue with that, bud!!

TRUTH BE TOLD..... I love the guys I work with and some I am closer with than members of my family.
My gradfather was a fire chief for years and that's the truth. They were a tight group. Had to be, really. And talk about dedicated! Fires don't sleep.
I remember one funny story.... My grandfather had just gotten a new car....an Olds, i think... and he got a late night fire call.
Well, my dad (or one of his brothers) always got up in the night with my grandfather to open the garage door to help get him ready to fly out the door. Well, it was winter time and there was ice covering the roads. My grandfather floored it out of the garage, slid down the driveway, and slammed into a big oak tree on the other side of the road.
You can imagine the jokes that followed...

BTW, those sayings are good..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator - Retired

Well here we go. I'm a traded TV engineer back in the valve/transistor days. Now I'm a labourer/Driver/HandyMan with a city bus company, also build and *repair* pc's/lappys and have a go at anything that's electrical.
You gotta be flexible, right, Mo?
I have a 4yr college degree in Psychology. I work at a landfill.
I'm thinking about my masters right now, though.. Who knows.
The money was just better working here when I got out of college, and I was tired of school. So, I got my state license to run wastewater plants (up to 5MGD), and then got trained on the tonkas... and here I am..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to make criminals into good law abiding people (like the Hurricane Forum (NOT)
It isn't working..................

Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Work in IT its boring but the company I work for isn't

We make intruments for genetic research, they get used for all sorts of things from banging up up criminals who dribble their DNA all over the place (We have also proved people to be innocent after many years inside as well which is pretty cool).

We also do organ transplant matching / food testing and some very obscure stuff as well.
Discovery Channel made a program called The Lost Queen of Egypt. If you ever get to see it we assisted in that and there is a lady called Dr Nicola Oldroyd on the show, who is one of my collegues.

Oh and ...... Swine fever testing I believe lol

Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I started this thread but had to disappear for a while.
Shhh dont tell anybody but I work for MI6, bodyguard for the Queen, always ready to take the bullet.
LOL
Well Hawk you had me gobsmacked !!!! not what I was expecting, its funny how you build a picture of people in your head
I think you are in the running for the most errr... unusual job I have a lot of respect for you lot, I would open a window and start slinging people out LOL
Firefighter is a cool job, the trouble is I know a few, they are brave as hell but very much wired wrong in the head
Its odd how many of us have trained in one thing but end up doing something completely opposite .
I'm a coachbuilder, nope I dont build coaches I repair crash damage on the London buses.
I was trained as a Heating and Ventilation Engineer (posh plumber) but ended up getting into the motor trade as the money was better at the time. I have worked on cars,bikes,lorries,coaches even offshore power boats and now buses (thinking about it the only thing I haven't repaired or painted is a tractor .)
So now you know, shame it wasn't worth waiting for

Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a nurse :-)

Jules

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator - Retired

My wife is a nurse, too, jules.
Makes a man feel good to make less money than his wife...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
My wife is a nurse, too, jules.
Makes a man feel good to make less money than his wife...

Well, UK nurses aren't payed too well ... we generally have to work our butts off and do lots of shift and overtime to get a decent wage .. people keep saying go to America where they pay you really well but I love my own country ..it's just what I know :-)

Jules

Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a photographer and have to spend most of my days taking pictures of gorgeous models

ok ok actually i am a student of mechanical engineering and part time photographer, but as one media company that bought a lot of pictures from me went bankrupt i have not much to do with my camera right now and so i am having a summer job in road construction industry ( i am the one who paints the lines