The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's purdy! Thanks for the link.
Very much road oriented, but I bet it does get up pretty good. It's out in cali, though.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's heresy but I'd go for the KLR650 Kwack for some all terrain stuff.
The Benelli's nice but imagine breaking down somewhere like Zimbabwe and trying to find parts...................not going to happen.
The KLR is simple and easy to fix, has enough grunt for most situations and is quite light and tough.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator - Retired

My thoughts exactly, shadowman. Thanks for the input!
She's a big girl, but manageable. (but we're all used to that, right?)

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator - Retired

Well, I just logged my first 75 miles in a hard, freezing cold rain.
Everybody, including the guys at work... my fiancee... and even the people at the dealership said I was crazy to pick it up today.
Screw them... bunch of ****in' sissies.
Just finished a pot of coffee to warm up... dumped all the water out of my shoes, and threw my clothes in the dryer. Good to go!

2009 Kawasaki KLR650 with 76 miles.

Name:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  118.0 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks, steve!
Yep, I just decided to go with a new one. Price was better than I've seen a lot of used one's go for. It's actually my first brand new ride. Had 1.5miles out the door.
The first 20 miles I took it real easy since it was new to me and I was on the highway in the rain...cruising about 65mph. Then I got passed by a guy in a truck with a BMW bike on a trailer. I had to pass him and give him the finger...
I was really surprised how well it handles the wind, rain, and high speed. I felt completely comfortable.
Now I just have to change the oil and see what kind of goodies I can find in the filter....

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator - Retired

I'm liking this new dual sport. Here is an action shot of me cruising to town. This thing is awesome!!

Name:  sheepbiker.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator - Retired

Well, it is a great pic....
I'd be all for starting a nevada based KLR club, btw. We'd be the rivals of the Rebel Rousers! It would be just like west-side story...

Speaking of the Angels...I was up North one time with my cousin in a record store, and we saw this goofy looking guy with a leather jacket on. On the back of his jacket, he had written "Hells Angles" with a black marker. My cousin walked up to him and said "Hells Angles, huh? Is that some sort of tough-*** math club or something?"
I almost pissed my pants laughing. The guy got all kinds of mad and stormed out.

I'm liking this bike so far. I put about 300 miles or so on it this weekend. Talk about a different bike than the old F'er! It's like night and day. It sits high, but handles much better than I thought it would. Real light and easy to ride. Saddle isn't too bad. Gets great mileage...around 47MPG even when riding it pretty hard.
However, I took the CBR for a few miles today, and DAM what a power difference!! After riding the KLR for a week, I had forgotten just what the old girl would do! Soooo smooth. So quick. I must admit that after hopping off the old girl this afternoon I was grinning for about an hour!

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)