The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sir trout!! ( Nevada promoted you). If the peeps out there are asking so much used , buy new ! Sales are slow , get a good deal from the dealer with warranty and then when it's time to sell , you can ask a reasonable price and under-cut these crazy *****'s

BTW Nevada I'm comin' ta visit one 'O' these , to inspect your MACHINERY

Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yeah!! A promotion!? I didn't expect this. I don't know what to say...
My boss said "no way" to a promotion this year because I was...and I quote... "a ****in' slacker whose already working on a last chance agreement"
I'd like to thank Honda.... and beer.. and coffee... and more beer.

Nevada.... very true. I'm gonna find a couple used ones and start chatting. Nothin' to lose. I think it's kind of a unique time for bikes at the moment. Economy isn't doing too good. However, bike sales were up due to gas prices. We'll see.

hawk, it's kind-of looking like new may be the way to go if I can't talk down these clowns. I like the idea of low interest, a couple grand down, and cheap payments for 2 years or something. We'll see how it plays out, I guess.
I bought that 1980 XR80 back in like 1989 for $75 because some idiot kid hit a stump with the peg and busted a hole in the motor at the peg bolt. I fixed it all up and ran it hard for about 6yrs. All I ever put into it was a couple plugs and a throttle cable. It still ran two years ago when I sold it to some kid for......$75.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator - Retired

Nevada, I did look at the v-stroms. Though nice, the strom650 was almost twice the price of the KLR650 or the DR650. The 1000 just seemed like too much bike for the possibility of offroad. Hell, I originally thought 650 was a little too much. The price was the main factor in ruling them out, though.

I completely understand where you're coming from on the fact that dual sports are pretty much the "masters of nothing" so to speak. This is why I originally wanted to get something like an XR250R strictly for some trail riding. (Possibly a CR)
Then I got to thinking that maybe the XR650L would be more practical so I could do a little more trail riding if I needed to but still run the road ok, since the soul of the XR seems a little more trail oriented. Then I found the KLRs which seemed to be a little more road oriented, but would probably still be ok for some less spirited off-roading (and they were a good bit cheaper than the XR)

****, I don't know. Why you gotta start assking questions, you stinkin' goddam yak herder?

Seriously, though, I've been over this probably 1000 times in my head over the last few days. "Dual Sport, Dylan.....Really....you want to get a ****in' dual sport?!" He he..
If I were absolutely sure, I'd probably have one in my garage right now.
I keep coming back to the fact that they aren't all that exspensive (even new) and would probably be fun. **** me... I don't know..

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Varadero (successor of the legendary Africa Twin 750) would be my top choice. Hands down, no questions asked. There's a reason why Honda sent these 2 down the path to Dakar.
KTM is always a safe bet, they've come a long way and are producing a solid product again.
Last but not least, the V-Strom is a bit too mainstream for my taste, but the price point for the V-Strom 1K is actually not all that bad. I've seen tons of them on long distance tours, while retaining the ability to go out into the back country if so desired.

Varadero 1K
KTM 650
V-Strom

Just my 2 cents

F.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator - Retired

That is a good point, steve. (and Nevadaman)
That's what I was thinking when I said that dual sports were kind-of a "master of nothing" earlier.

I don't expect anything to be bitchin' on the street and trail, that's just...well...absurd. It's a contradiction in terms. An oxymoron, so to speak.
However, it seems like someone could come up with something that is at least pretty comfortable on the road...that can still run trails. Is it possible?

I didn't realize that the KLR was water cooled. Makes a little more sense with the curb weight now. That ****in' pig is like 440lbs!! I say "bring it on!!" I'm a big boy, and I've ridden big trail bikes before. Hell, my granddad's neighbor had a Yamaha 550 trail (early 80's XT,I think), and I took that bitch on when I was 12!
(BTW, Honda XR650L is around 350lbs, Suzuki DR650 is 366lbs..big difference!)

I guess I just don't want a dedicated trail bike because I don't think it would get used as much as it should. I have a bunch of trails in the area that I'd like to take day trips to, but I don't want to truck a bike all over, and I don't want to get arrested on a dirtbike either. (not that I couldn't run 'em, I guess )

Here's a KLR
And here (start at 1:36)
And here
And here

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator - Retired

Ouch!
Yep, trail riding will definately bust you up. I've been lucky, a few broken fingers, bad sprains, and a hell of a lot of burns.
I slid one into a ravine one time on it's side. I thought I was a dead man. All I got was cuts, bruises, and a really bad burn on my right leg that left a few scars. Other than that, I was unscathed! Amazing! I took out 3 or 4 little trees on the way down, too.

Yeah, I heard that the military was using the KLRs. Didn't know they were diesel, but that makes sense. I just looked up a video of one. Pretty neat.

I guess a dedicated trailbike wouldn't be too bad. I'll keep looking around....

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)