The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)

Well, I've been out of dirt biking for a little while now, and wanted to get one this year. Then I got to thinking how much easier it would be to be to just get a dual sport instead of trucking a bike to the trails.
Answer seems to be dual purpose. I've never had one, and I'm in the process of figuring out:
1. Whether I should get one
2. What I should get

I've always had (and loved) my hondas. I started with a 50cc trail when I was about 6 or 7, then got an XR80, then rode various others in the 100s, then an XR250.
I've been looking at the XR650L pretty hard. I'm sure i don't want a 230L, as I'm a pretty big boy and would be riding road with it, too.
HOWEVER, yesterday I looked at the Kawasaki KLR650. Hmmm. Not bad. And it's also considerably less expensive then the Honda. Not quite sure how I like the new headlight and such, but overall not bad.
I've been looking for a used one, but people are being crazy with what they're asking for the older ones. A brand ner KLR is about 5k, Honda is closer to 6k+. Suzuki is not far off the Kawa on price (and I heard the Kawas are basically Suzukis now, anyway...) but I don't have much experience with the Suzuki's at all.

Any thoughts or experience with any of these? Any suggestions in general?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks for the input, bud.
I have a friend that has always ridden Kawasakis, and I called him today. He was saying that his other buddy just bought a Kawasaki and said it was made by Suzuki! He said it said so right by the VIN number..
Apparently Kawa is buying a bunch of parts from Suzuki. He seemed to think right along the same lines as you.
He said you won't go wrong with the Suzuki or the Kawasaki. He also said that Hondas are really good bikes, but any more (and especially with dirt bikes) you're paying a little more for the name. I can't say I disagree.

I'd love to hear some more input, though.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator - Retired

Whoa, steve!
That's a killer bike there! Never seen one of those before. Very nice....and big!

Yep, I often think of all the fun I had on trails, whick is why I'm looking around for another one. Had some bad spills, though, too. I know what you mean. Harder on the body in general.

I have off work tomorrow (finally), so I think I'm gonna do some serious looking.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator - Retired

Not really a BMW fan.. Don't know, though.. never owned one. It's out in SF Bay area, too.
That is pretty sweet looking, though!

I was looking around today and found 2 bikes nearby. Only problem is that people are still freakin' crazy with what they want for them!
2007 Kawasaki KLR650 for $4800!! (Brand new 2009 at the dealership ASKING $5200)
1999 Suzuki DR650SE for $2900. It has like 9k miles on it. I know the blue book values are low, but still. It's booked high retail at like $1900, and it's a 10yr old bike. $2k more for brand new... 0miles. ???

The quest continues.
My fiancee wants to get a new car, so I told her:
"You get a new car.... I get a new bike!!"
She's concerned that we'll look like trash since I already have 4 vehicles. She has 1. Not my problem!!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator - Retired

He he.. She now says as long as they're in a garage...

Maybe I'll get a bunch of those screened in temporary awning things that you put over picnic tables an I'll park my cars and trucks under them! That would look AWESOME!!

(bikes go in the garage, though.. always)

Wait! I can put the bikes in the bedroom with us... and the Jeep or pickup in the garage and the Civic in the driveway! That would be perfect!

I'll supply the helmet, btw, no problem. I have the perfect one in the attic at my old man's house. It's a 70's style open face (one of those huge jetsons style ones). It was my first helmet back in the day. I remember what my dad said about helmets at the time (when I didn't want to wear one). He said "Think of it this way, boy, if you're wearing a helmet you can do crazier shlt"

Good ideas about negotiating. I usually don't have too big a problem negotiating (ie.. nicely telling people that they are being shlthouse crazy), but sometimes people are just starting sooo frickin high you feel shltty saying "I'll give you half that".

I went to a dealer down south today and heard all kinds of BS. Some 18yr old girl down their selling bikes? She had no idea what she was talking about. Actually quoted me OVER MSRP! I'm like WTF, that's like $600 over MSRP! Then she comes back and says I'm right, and offers actual MSRP. I laughed, and walked. I also asked her about the XR650L and she said it would take at least 2 months to get one! So much BS. I can drive 10miles further south and pick one up today. She said the KLRs are getting hard to get, too, which is why they're charging MSRP. Next dealer over has 5 of them. Every color of the rainbow.... and for $700 UNDER MSRP.
I really just wanted to pick up some chain lube, take a ride, and see the 2009's anway..
I should have told her I wanted to trade a 1980 XR80, but I wanted no less than $10,000 for it.

BTW, that's a hell of a nice RS you got there!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a Dual Purpose (Enduro)