The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Six weeks and it started!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Six weeks and it started!!!

At last the clouds have parted. Yesterday was fine but incredibly windy, today was f'n great! I've been reluctant to try and get the bike out of my place for the last 6 weeks due to the constant rain, steep hill, wash outs and mud. I'd get out but, if it rained more during the day there was no way I'd get back up the hill.

I watched the GP today and, having walked past the bike several times on the way to the ping pong table to play TYB, I thought "****, I'll have to charge the battery and if i leave too much longer the fuel will start to gel in the carbies". BULL5HIT, it's a Honda! I hopped on after 6 weeks (I swear!) and pulled full choke, then cranked it thinking there'd be no way. After a few revs it popped then fired slightly. I switched it off and waited about 10 seconds so I didn't flood it, then went again. This time it nearly caught! Same 10 second rest and the third time it just fired right up. Ran a bit rough 'til all the sh!tty fuel was through the carbies, then purred in it's usual fashion. I'd lost 2psi in the front and 6 in the back but the thing was just saying "get on, *****!" I ran it at 3 to 4k until it reached normal temp then gave it a few tweaks up to 6 or 7k and it just taunted me. If it wasn't for all the home brew during the GP I'd have been straight on.

I've got no trickle charger and haven't touched the bike for 6 weeks! I've never had a bike this keen to go and go. I've walked the driveway to work out a way throught the wash outs and am going to have a crack at riding tomorrow. Wish me luck boys...I might not manage Casey's 200kmh drifts but i might be able to ride to work and back

I LOVE THIS BIKE!

I told Kath about this, although she and everybody within 2km would have already known (thanks V&H), and she said "I have to say, this bike has been pretty awesome so far...and I found it for you!" She did too.

I'm looking forward to work tomorrow...or at least the trip there and back

Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sacrifice to the Gods of speed

I had my old girl out today, we're lurching into summer too (30° C when I got home from work on Friday but snow predicted for Tuesday). Anyway I had a couple of hours free while Mission Control and daughter 2 were over in Queenstown shopping. What better thing to do than make a sacrifice to the Gods of speed and burn some plankton in their honour?

And verily it pleased the Gods,we in the Southern hemisphere can look forward to a long and safe summer thanks to the sacrifice.

I did notice though that the Gods did drink most lustily of the plankton, had to get onto reserve after 120km. I wonder if the brothers in the North have been keeping the Gods happy while we faced our winter?

Still BIG FUN though, there are some very startled Asian tourists somewhere in Wanaka who had their poxy white Toyota Camry rental car nailed at over 200 clicks when they were least expecting it. I'm sitting here hours later with sore hips and forearms and a stupid big grin. Just what a 23 year old should do to a fifty year old!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Ouch!. Took me 5 minutes to get out of my place, around the wash outs and through the still drying mud. I had to walk it over some bits or risk dropping it. As soon as I got on the highway I pinned it and blew out the cobwebs (from the bike and me). It's perfect here today, but there's more rain coming Wednesday then I'll be back in the ute again.

Not sure how the trip up the hill will go this arvo...slowly I think.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Watched the Moto GP this morning Dave, then I had to go out and hunt down a few cars on the local roads Lambs to the slaughter

Don't worry Kiwi, the Gods of speed have sated their lust for cage flesh! Enjoy your season boys and ride safe!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks Hawk, we will.

The GP was pretty good to watch. Good on Stoner for 4 in a row at the home track! Everybody goes on about all the electronic aids those guys have but seeing the two wheel drifts he was doing, around one particular left hander, made me lift my lips from my beer on more than one occasion to say "WOW" or "F#ck me!!" and so on.

The battle for third was a cracker and Rossi proved, once again, how big his bollocks are!! Even Kath looked up from her book, albeit momentarily, and was impressed...

I'm going to have to drive tomorrow so I can cart some topsoil but I keep walking past the bike in the carpark and it's all I can do to stay off it.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal, Dave! Glad to hear she's roaring again.
(and after 6wks sitting is awesome!)

I went out ripping around this morning and burned about a tank. I went all through Gettysburg PA and spooked a few tourists myself, kiwi.

I also caught the GP race this afternoon. You're right about Rossi in that fight for third with Hayden. Good stuff. You just knew he was gonna do it, though, it was just a matter of when. He's got some big ***** for sure. One inch and he'll capitalize on it every time.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Yeah, it wouldn't be a good feeling having him there poised behind you. Doesn't seem long ago he was a stretcher job either. It must be hard to put that kind of stuff behind you and go all out the way he does.

I was rapt (and slightly p!ssed courtesy of several HBs during the race) when the bike fired up after sitting for that long. Not a drop of anything leaked out of it either.

More rain supposed to be coming so this will be the only ride day for a while again. Lots of ute loads of oversize gravel to be shovelled into the washouts, then the same again with road base. Still, it's all good exercise I s'pose.