The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Red Light Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:04 AM

I have heard about a study that was done that statistically proved redlight cameras actually increased the number of accidents at intersections, im not sure where to find it though.

Old 11-30-2010 | 03:42 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by willcbr600rr
Now that's Funny....

Lets hear it....
Ok, sorry been off air for a couple of days. In a former life I ran a 24 hour servo. Malcolm used to do the graveyard shift, and owned one of those very nasty little Honda City Turbos. He used to get sprung very often in the early morning on his way home from work by a speed camera on a long uphill haul out of Dunedin that is still in the 50Km limit. So he came up with this amazing invention. A long pole, with a spray can of clear laquer at the top, bit of a kinda hinge mechanisim and a piece of string to make the can spray. Cruise up Caversham Valley Road in the early morning, stop,walk up to the speed camera and spray a goodly dose of laquer over the wee window that the lens looks out of. Impossible to see as you drive past but totally ****s the focus on the camera lens.

Repeat at weekly intervals; when they go and retrieve the film from that camera but can't issue any tickets because they're all too fuzzy to read the rego numbers on. It's now more than 10 years later but I still notice when I'm in Dunedin that that camera has been decommisioned. Score.

Old 11-30-2010 | 05:44 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Default Double Post Risk

So I've been kinda thinking about remounting my rear number plate with a brass piano hinge at the top and nothing at the bottom. Looks all good and kosher at rest (and at W.O.F. time) but once you get up to open road speed the airflow should bring the plate up to horizontal, making it a little bit difficult for speed camera's to get a fix on you. Your thoughts please gentlemen?

Old 11-30-2010 | 07:11 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

No moving parts ...never fails , cheap .....quick to remove ..!!!
So I've been kinda thinking about remounting my rear number plate with a brass piano hinge at the top and nothing at the bottom. Looks all good and kosher at rest (and at W.O.F. time) but once you get up to open road speed the airflow should bring the plate up to horizontal, making it a little bit difficult for speed camera's to get a fix on you. Your thoughts please gentlemen?
Here in the States that is just asking to get pulled over, when you are not doing any thing at the time.... OPPS! I forgot and illegal. Just saying

Old 11-30-2010 | 10:18 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

I think the plates mounted on hinges which are activated with a small solenoid and a remote pushbutton are interesting. Everything looks normal, even at highway speeds, until you push the button. I think there are some youtube videos of a few of these.

Old 11-30-2010 | 10:27 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

yep plateflipper website just for that purpose ........... very illegal and ya know
we don't condone that kind of thing here

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

TK. I've thought about this too in my murky past. You would have to experiment with drilling a few different sized holes in the plastic behind the plate to vary the airflow and have the plate lift at the required speed. without the holes I think the turbulence would cause the plate to flap up and down.

In the old country I was toying with the idea of a spring loaded plate with an extra lever on the bars to trip the catch. It'd just look like a choke lever.

Of course, I wouldn't condone....blah....blah...blah because I'm a friken

Quick Reply: Red Light Cameras