The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Red Light Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010 | 03:43 PM
|
Default Red Light Cameras

On my usual route to work, there is a red light camera at a major intersection where I have to make a left turn to get to the freeway. I discovered (purely by accident) that if you are going about 35mph when you hit the first of four sensors then you can be completely stopped with a foot down just as the flashbulbs go off and startle the people in their cages going through the intersection. I'm sure that whoever is in charge of checking the red light photos has about a dozen of me sitting there on my bike, calmly waiting for the light to change. What can I say, I'm easily amused and it's a way to get Big Brother to waste money checking a picture that won't generate any revenue for them. On the flip side, if you stop at the light and the darn thing won't change, then you don't have to worry about the camera catching you since you have already passed the sensors that control it.

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:02 PM
Administrator - Retired

LOL... That's funny, man.

Another redlight cam story:
I was on my way to my buddy's house once (in a hurry) and I went through a stoplight. (the light is for a factory entrance and it was after hours with the gate closed so it doesn't really count.. )
Anyway, I realized after going through the light that they had just installed cameras.
I got to my buddy's house and told him how I was probably gonna get a ticket and he says "No you won't, those cameras aren't hooked up. The town didn't have enough money to go through with the project so they haven't wired them up. It was in the paper yesterday". LOL...

Another one:
I had a job a while back as a water sampling guy for an environmental lab. We hired a new girl and sent her on a sampling run to Philadelphia. Well, she got back to the lab with the water samples the following day but most of the samples were expired and had to be re-sampled. Basically, the whole trip was for nothing.
Then, over the next week or so, my boss received 7 camera citations in the mail from the Philadelphia police for her running various stoplights around the city in the company car.

Old 11-24-2010 | 10:27 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

I was riding my bicycle to work early one morning before sunrise. I always try to keep up with the weather forecast so I don't get caught in an afternoon downpour or something on the way back home. It was supposed to be dry that day.

All of a sudden a bright flash of light came out of nowhere. I started cursing to myself, thinking at any minute I was going to get drenched. I thought it was strange that I hadn't heard any thunder. It was about that time I realized that I must have tripped a red light camera that I didn't even know was there. On my way back home later that day I confirmed it.

I bet the cops had a few laughs over who to send that ticket to when they saw the photo of the back half of a bicycle and no plate. One of my buddies at work said I should run it again and extend a one-finger salute at the camera on the way by. I never did...yet.

Old 11-25-2010 | 04:52 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Was working in Christchurch when the first (very well publicised) red light camera went in. A few days later the local head of traffic pork was being interviewed on a morning radio show about how the new camera was working. He commented that a car had been driven thru' the intersection on red, number plate blocked out and three guys doing a brown eye up against the rear window.

Even he admitted it was bloody funny, but "Please don't do that again guys"

Remind me to tell you about Malcom that used to work for me sometime too. Another good camera story

Old 11-26-2010 | 06:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

BURN ****** BURN!!!

Actually, red light cameras don't bother me that much. I think you'd have to have a death wish to run a light on a bike.

It's speed cameras that I hate, they should all be put to the torch like this ******!!!

Cue maniacal laughter ............errr some how the LOL icon doesn't convey the evil laughter I imagine... how about this, but with a camera??
Oh I give up..........

Old 11-27-2010 | 10:21 AM
Administrator - Retired

Yes, speed cameras are some bullchit, Hawkman. Totally unacceptable.

I don't think I've ever actually seen one in real life, though.
It must be a european problem...... like british food and tony blair.

Old 11-27-2010 | 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
He commented that a car had been driven thru' the intersection on red, number plate blocked out and three guys doing a brown eye up against the rear window.

Even he admitted it was bloody funny, but "Please don't do that again guys"

Now that's Funny....

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Remind me to tell you about Malcom that used to work for me sometime too. Another good camera story
Lets hear it....

Old 11-27-2010 | 11:21 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yes, speed cameras are some bullchit, Hawkman. Totally unacceptable.

I don't think I've ever actually seen one in real life, though.
It must be a european problem...... like british food and tony blair.
We have a few around the St. Louis area. I've heard they will not trip until you're at least 10 mph over the posted limit, although I would not want to test it out.

Old 11-27-2010 | 11:58 AM

Laws vary from state to state but all the traffic cams are about is money. They put up 3 in my city and a couple months later we have like 7 or 8. Nothing but a money grab. If they were really interested in safety they would make a standard time for yellow lights before turning to red. Then you could make a good case for catching red light violators. My 2 cents.

Old 11-27-2010 | 02:03 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

They had in the paper in Chicago about the speed limit camera's (white van's) set up in the construction zones were set at like 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit. Those should be big $$$ and lots of points. that was a year or so ago.

Quick Reply: Red Light Cameras