The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Post nasal drip

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ +1 I wouldn't put it in my oil. There are all sorts of 'miracle additives out there with testimonials from the public, but you never get to hear what happens 2-3000miles down the road. I'd use a cheap oil for the first change, run for a thousand miles or so and do another change.

As far as cleaning the injectors, then I'd say if it's not running well, give it a try, if it's really gummed up, it'll probably clean them better than just adding it to the fuel. After all, that's just going to dilute it, making it less effective as a cleaner, but good as a stabiliser.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Why would one put SeaFom in the oil pan? That sounds like something recommended by bearing / crank manufacturers to boost sales.

Dumping it straight into the cylinders is supposed to cause combustion shock waves that will break carbon deposits loose, freeing rings and cleaning valves and valve seats. Maybe it would clean injector tips, but I see how it would affect internal gumming.

The same idea has been used for years. Fifty-five years ago it was spectacular watching the mechanics perform a similar exercise at the car dealership I worked at. No idea what they dumped in the carb, but it caused clouds of smoke out the exhaust that covered the car lot. Really cool to a 16 year old lot boy. Not sure what benefit it had for the engines.

I kind of expected smoke the video. Maybe SeaFom is environmentally safe.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always discount the claims by miracle additives too. Over the years the only thing i've ever added other than seafoam was lead additive to the Mustang.

Having said that, seafoam doesn't claim any "miracle" cure for worn rings or extension of oil life, etc, only to help clean the engine of buildup. As a solvent, it makes sense to me that adding it to oil prior to an oil change MIGHT help clean out or degum an engine a bit, although I doubt the effectiveness of it when it's only in the engine for a short time before being dumped out with the old oil.

Using it as an additive AFTER an oil change would make sense to me only in that it might have a better chance to slowly work on the buildup over time...especially since it will thin the oil a bit and help it move around. Note that Seafoam says to constantly monitor your oil for color and level changes when using this method. Sure it might work but the oil has been thinned and it probably isn't going to last as long or protect as well. Then again, changing oil regularly and not overheating the engine generally prevents buildup in the first place. Motor oils already contain solvents/detergents.

DRam was it smoke or steam? Water injection does wonders for cleaning carbon deposits too!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DRam
Why would one put SeaFoam in the oil pan? That sounds like something recommended by bearing / crank manufacturers to boost sales.
Sounds like something recommended by SeaFoam to boost sales...

I can see why people are adverse to adding it to the oil. However, they say on the can that you're only supposed to add X amount of Seafoam to X amount of oil (I think it's an oz for every qt IIRC). I'm sure they've figured out that if you only use that amount, it won't break down the oil...

And besides, this stuff burns off/evaporates. I'm sure it's not in your oil too long anyways before it evaporates in the crank case. It probably dirties your oil quickly, another reason why you wouldn't want to use it with fresh oil. (I wouldn't use it at all though... I'd just change my oil more often)

I still don't see how dumping it into the intake is going to clean your injectors though as opposed to it coming through the fuel lines and thus through the injectors...

It being injected into the engine is still going to clean your valves and domes....

Wow, we're starting to get a little "oil-thread-y", aren't we?

Last edited by Conrice; 09-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Originally Posted by amacadams

DRam was it smoke or steam? Water injection does wonders for cleaning carbon deposits too!
Smoke. It hung around and slowly drifted away. IIRC the procedure was as shown in the video - keep the revs up while trickling the stuff in, then at the end pour it in fast enough to kill the motor. Then let it sit overnight before restarting.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I use their spray application - works well and less fuss and I can leave my shirt on.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:49 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dram
I'd say this
No idea what they dumped in the carb, but it caused clouds of smoke out the exhaust that covered the car lot. Really cool to a 16 year old lot boy. Not sure what benefit it had for the engines.
was probably STP.
Great clouds of smoke that peed off the neighbors LoL

I can't buy Seafoam here but run injector cleaner through my carbs every 3 or 4 tanks of gas.
It seems to work better than carb cleaner, maybe because it's thinner.
I also have used SPITFIRE on occasions.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok guys. I did it

Result?

I think I elected a new Pope.

That's about it

Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 317 Likes on 260 Posts

Were you wearing your shirt? If it didn't work that's probably the reason.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Ok guys. I did it

Result?

I think I elected a new Pope.

That's about it
...took me a little while going like until it hit me

Quick Reply: Post nasal drip