The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Husqvarna Terra. The power plant is essentially a re-worked BMW GS650 motor. I don't know much about accessories so long distance adventuring might be iffy pending saddlebag options, but it's got terrific power, well sorted suspension and it comes in at around $7000 iirc. We just got one at the dealership not long ago and I gotta admit it's a pretty bike.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All of them sound pretty good. Especially, the KLR that Kilgore describes above

Just ride 'em like a Sherpa.

Stand up on the pegs, lean back. Keep the front end light and steer with the throttle.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
It sounds like the perfect job for a KLR650, to be honest... although it may be a bit tall for a little man like you.
It's cheap, reliable, looks good, and will easily take you all of those places.

TBT has a great idea with the DRZ400, too. A good bit lighter and better in the sticks. But since you aren't going to be single tracking, you might be better off with the weight/seat of the KLR.
They're all going to be a bit tall in the saddle. I picked the DRZ400 because I got it for $1,800. It's 291 lbs dry.

At the bottom of the link that Shadow posted, in the Suzuki section there is a mistake. The smaller 400 is better in the woods and the 650 friendlier over the road. The Killer 650 is a wise choice if your planning on taking it to work. If I were doing the Alaskan Highway I'd pick the killer over the V-strum, not that the V-strum is a bad choice. The Killer is just more aggressive for some areas the V-strom can't travel. ie crossing creeks and streams

Rt10 north of Caroga Lake near me is a huge biker favorite. You come out of one turn and have to flip the bike back over and over for 28 miles. The only straight section of the road is the last 1/2 mile on the north end. I can hold the DR at a locked on 65 MPH and never hit the brakes the entire way. My buddy right on my tail with his DR650. Some turns I could go faster. I tried to do the same thing with the 1kF and it was total failure. Some turns I was laid all the way down, downshifting and banging gears and pushing hard out of some turns, I looked down and saw 45 MPH. Light bikes turn quick.

So there you go, My dual sport is a dirt bike/supermoto with Shanko dual tires mounted. I have never pulled as many G's on any other bike that I do on the little 400. I re-jetted, 3X3 mod and opened the cali restriction and now she runs.

DRz400 - dirt bike that you see on the track
DRz400E- same bike with electric start
DRz400S - Street legal version
DRz400SM - same as 'S' but setup as Supermoto

Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am now seriously considering getting a duelly . I just got caught doing 135kph , and was lucky that I stuck a really good cop who rides . he let me off with a warning of if he caught me again he'd throw the book at me . 100kph on these things is boring as bat **** . At least a dually I can explore a bit more of the back blocks . where I live is long flat straights and very few bends . The CBR is an awesome bike , but I need to change my riding if I'm going to keep my licence .

Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are reading my mind AL - looking to get off - road for a bit myself !

Anyway - jumped on a KLR today and was impressed, got on a Versys - well it's
a road bike basically ! sat on a GS650 but found that to be kinda funky / weird

BUT Friday I'm heading off to try more - so far the KLR has my attention

Last edited by Sprock; 10-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how the KLR works out for you. I had looked at getting one before I got my CBR, but the thought of riding almost 600 asphalt miles on a thumper just didn't strike me as too much fun
But, I'd still like to get a duelly someday

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Default possibilites :-))

yeah this is about finding that optimal in between bike . Still have to throw
a leg over KTM , Husqvarna , Suzuki and a few others yet before finalizing a deal.
Weight as TBT says makes a huge difference, height is not a factor for me as I had
no problem on the KLR today

We'll see ..... these insights from folks here are helpful

Maybe I should be thinking along these lines

Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont laugh , if I could have found long travel forks for the old GSX1100 , she'd be a dually now ! twin shock rear was going to be easy and the rim size is perfect for todays dual purpose tyres . set of off road bars and your off . like you say just like a Versy .

Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A word about thumpers; You can get a ticket real quick on them.

On open roads they are screaming along. Mine will do 100 mph with the mods I've done to it but its lungs (lung, singular lol) are hanging out. It cruises nicely at 70 and when I look down that's usually what I'm doing even in a 55. It doesn't feel like 70, it feels more like 45. <--No joking here!

Around town you need to be very careful. They come off the line very quickly because they are light, geared low and have most of their grunt in low rpm's. The first time my son took mine out I warned him about the 30MPH zones. When he came back, he got off and reported that I was 100% right. He looked down and found the clock reading 55 in a 30 more than once. It is almost agonizing trying to go 30.

Tire choice on thumpers is a huge deal. When trying them out, its huge. When I got mine it had knobbies. SCAREY!... In the rain....DEADLY SCARY. My son dropped it at over 50 while making a right hand turn. He didn't realize how fast he was going and knobbies-no-turn.

Shanko makes a great Dual Sport tire , I have them and now the bike lays way down and still works 85% in the mud. The Shanko's are 80/20. The knobbies I had were 10/90.

The knobbies showed 50% wear at around 300 miles. The road eats them like Mama Cass eating a ham sandwich.

EDIT: I was out in the garage and happened to look over at the DR and remembered something. I should mention that some make somewhat good cold weather rides. Mine has the radiator shrouds and number-plate/headlight doohickey. I also installed hand guards that double as wind deflectors in cold conditions. Not real good but far better than a naked bike. Something to think about when looking.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 10-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Went by the KTM dealship - what is it with bikeshops being closed on Mondays !

Anyway they'll need to clean the front windows now as I was trying to scope out
all the KTM bikes they had - nice looking machines - going to get in for a look see
tomorrow on my way home from work.

Anybody know anything about KTM's ?

Quick Reply: Opinions