The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

The New Girl

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile The New Girl

Well, I just picked up a cruiser today. I couldn't help myself.
I have a street/trail and a "sport" bike..... so I figured a cruiser would fill that little void in the lineup.

Anyway..... it's a 1995 Honda Magna. It's got 17k miles and is in excellent shape. It's pretty much mint. No scratches, no bad chrome, new tires, etc. Way better in person.
It runs great, but has the classic Magna flat spot right around 4,500rpms. I was hoping the PO would have figured out that the needles need shimmed to clear it up, but apparently not. He decided instead to install a K&N air filter and make it worse.
(EDIT: Cleaned the carbs and shimmed the needles. Runs 100% now. )

Regardless, once you wind it up.... form 6-10k RPMs it hauls pretty good. So..... I plan to burn this dude at work tomorrow who just spent $13,500 on a used Fatboy w/ 13k miles. I know for a fact it will smoke his azz and it's gonna be funny considering this bike cost me $2k.
It's got some pretty sweet extras that sealed the deal for me. Leatherlyke lockable hardbags (w/quick release), adjustable windshield, back seat w/sissy bar (for sprock's wife), luggage rack, engine guards, and some other little chrome extras.

Here she is.......

Name:  MagnaR2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  MagnaL2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  MagnaLClose.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  MagnaRClose.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  MagnaEmblem.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  102.6 KB

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-30-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dylan. She looks pretty tidy mate! Why not rig up the camera (pointing backwards of course) for the drag with the Fatboy?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Very nice find there Dylan. I always loved that Honda V four but never cared for the cruiser/special style. Don't feel the need to have one in the stable either but for $2k on that..it would have me thinkin hard. Oh,I hear Spocks better half is on the way!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks, Dave! Ya know, I think that cam idea is a hell of a good one!! Plus, I don't have to use my grab rail to mount it on... I've got a whole luggage rack.

And yeah, Jim.... I was never a big fan of cruisers, either, but I always wanted a magna for some reason. I kept looking for a nice one, but most either had flaws that drove me crazy..... the people wanted way more than I was willing to pay..... or they were gone by the time I got to them. (a lot of that, actually)
This guy wanted $2900, but I was early and he took the cash. lol...
Glad he did because of the shape it's in and the fact that it has all the extras I wanted (except exhaust). Those hard bags are like $400. (WTF?)
Just another toy, tho. I'll try anything once or twice.
And I still have 2 other bikes if the need arises.
I think the funniest thing about buying this bike is how much the wife seems to like it. It's kinda scary, really. She cleared out a spot in the garage, hopped right on the back, and then made a comment about how much she likes it.
I never knew this about her and now I'm afraid.... LOL...

Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
then made a comment about how much she likes it.
I never knew this about her and now I'm afraid.... LOL...

Do you think she has aspirations to migrate forward to the front seat?? You think you're afraid now!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Administrator - Retired

Do you think she has aspirations to migrate forward to the front seat?? You think you're afraid now!
That thought hadn't crossed my mind.
Thanks, Dave.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice cruiser Dylan. Must be nice to have a ride for each taste.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM

2 grand . . . wow, nice score! 2 grand might get you a beat-to-crap late 80s bike here. I have an '83 V45 Sabre that's partially torn down until I have time to complete the oil mod and install the CCTs I bought a couple months ago. The V4 is a very cool engine, nothing quite like it -- pulls hard down low and turbine-smooth. The only downside (apart from fixing the first-gen design flaws) is that you need to buy 2 of everything when you do top end work. And removing/replacing the carbs will make you want to go on a killing spree

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Administrator - Retired

Nice cruiser Dylan. Must be nice to have a ride for each taste.
Thanks, Joel. Yeah, it is cool.
Thing is.... if you took all of my rides (all three bikes, 2 jeeps, and car) and added up what I paid for them.... it's still a couple grand shy of the cost of that dude's used Fatboy.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great buy Dylan !
Many happy miles .................................

Quick Reply: The New Girl