The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

It's good to be back.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's good to be back.

Four weeks on the road and now home again. This was a trip to Portland/Vancouver WA for a family reunion, then down to the Fall River area in California to visit my brother, back to Vancouver, over to Spokane for a short time, then a week in the Flathead in Montana for a wedding - my granddaughters, not mine. And then back to Lewistown Monday.

It seems the entire months of June and July up to departure were taken up with few day to week-long trips for family affairs, and getting the 5th wheel and pickup ready to go. The CBR was up and running well before we left, but other than a few short runs around town there was no time to ride. So this morning I hit the highway for the first time since last August. Ah yes, it certainly did feel good.

It seems that the sport / sport-touring / adventure riders are finding the roads. On our trip to Yellowstone Park two years ago we saw about two bikes other than Harleys or GoldWings. This trip there were about equal numbers of Harleys and the more sporting varieties. Maybe it's a west coast thing.

And by the way, those of you who ride around Vancouver/Portland on 205 and I-5, you got cojones of steel. Your courage impresses me. I'll take the open roads of Montana, thank you.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to see you out and about DRam, particularly on the CBR1000F

So where's the pictures?

Cheers, SB

Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 AM

Pictures. There must be a gazillioin pictures of relatives at the various functions, none of which would be of general interest, but here are a few of our travels.

A foggy day at the wife's aunt and uncle's house outside Polson, MT.

At a car show in Portland, OR. Not a display, just parked in the MC area.

Probably the most unique car there. Well, other than an original, 2nd owner Cobra showing the effects of years and miles of being driven. Why didn't I take a picture of it? Darned if I know.

This is a 1931 Chrysler Imperial. And the length isn't a photo exaggeration. It really is that long.

Late evening at my sister's place on Flathead Lake.

Mount Shasta. We were a few miles away from my brother and sister-in-law's home near Fall River Mills, CA.

The Kalamath Basin not far from Glass Mountain. A day after we were there a portion of this turned into smoke and ash. My brother texted me and said the smoke in his area was so dense visibility was less than a quarter mile.

Last edited by DRam; 08-14-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wonderful photos DRam, thanks for sharing.

I would like to have seen the mountain go up!

Cheers, SB

Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Love the nature photo's. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice and tidy looking VF, nice looking country side too.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip to the PNW.

Shasta is showing the signs of the drought down there

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 AM

We enjoyed it much. My first time back to CA in 70 years. Came back to Montana when Dad was released from the army in 1945. It's obvious why people like northern CA, beautiful county around there. Although the 100* F temperatures weren't to my liking.

I found a picture of Shasta taken in May of this year on another site. Totally snow covered, brilliant blue sky Not much snow left, in fact, darned little considering the altitude.

We walked around in a couple spots in the Kalamath Basin. It was like walking in brown flour the ground is so dry. I hope the weather gurus are correct and the west coast is going to get moisture this fall and winter. They really need it. Actually, we could us some in Montana also. It was a dry winter last year, and not much rain this spring for the western part of the state.

Last edited by DRam; 08-16-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Poor proofing, missed seplling error.