The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I think I might need one of these

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I might need one of these

So, Wanaka, it's a very spectacular and beautiful place to live. But all those big kick **** mountains that surround the town are here for a reason.

The dreaded Alpine Fault Line that is less than 20km from where I live.
And it's now been building up tension for 100's of years and is due for "The Big One", in the order of a 12 meter horizontal shift.

After having seen the devastation in Christchurch in 2011, all travel was just difficult or impossible for weeks , one of these wee things parked up in the garage probably makes a lot of sense.

Am I in danger of being branded as one of those crazy Survivalist kind of people for even thinking about this?

Ubco | The Utility Bike

Old 08-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Forget the electrickery.......

Get a Postie bike, put knobbies on it, a Safari tank and hoard petrol All the rest is mere detail.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 08-09-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ But do you get the all important USB port????

Old 08-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it. Would like to hang one off the back of my 4x4.

Trust the kiwi`s to invent something for sneaking up on sheep!

Last edited by jarvid; 08-09-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jarvid
Also good for sneaking up on sheep!
Hmmmm, Jarvid are you absolutely certain you're not in New Zealand - just masquerading as a Tasmanian??

Cheers, SB

Ha! got the quote before the subtle change.............

Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I thought I left myself open with the original quote, don`t want to give away any easy runs, but lets not talk about cricket.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid
I like it. Would like to hang one off the back of my 4x4.

Trust the kiwi`s to invent something for sneaking up on sheep!
I hadn't thought of that very important use. I more thinking along the lines of "go down stairs in six months time, the points won't have closed up. The spark plug won't have mysteriously died. The carb won't have decided to gum itself up".

But yes, your point is valid Jarvid, another benefit I hadn't thought of.

We have some friends that spend a lot of time touring round NZ in a motorhome. Something like this would be perfect for them. Light enough to be easy to handle in and out of the bus when they park up, just the goods for shooting down to the local store for bread and milk without having to decamp the motorhome.

Plus Rick is a big time hunter, so it could get him into the hills to annoy some deer.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
We have some friends that spend a lot of time touring round NZ in a motorhome. Something like this would be perfect for them.
I guess you folks do things a bit different than the folks around here. I had to be 751 miles form here for a meeting so I took a little ride. On my little trip I came up on one of those $500,000USD motor-homes pulling a trailer. On the trailer I could see a Polaris Slingshot facing backwards. As I came up along side I could see that it was positioned between two more facing forward.

Ubco.......party of 2.....Ubco....party of 2, your table is ready.

Slingshots...party of 6....slingshots....party of 6......

Old 08-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the technology point of view... no. See how the page fails to give info like what is the range of the thing? That's probly because it'll take you to the pub and back, that is if the owner lets you charge it while having a guinness. 40ah, really? And with Li-ion batteries? Why the hell not LiFePo:s? Why is it given in Ah:s anyway, all others talk about kW/h:s. And exactly why dual drive? It's only an unnecessary drain. 200kg:s of carrying capacity? And what is the range with full load? 5km max @ 20km/h if you have wind behind you. Plus it totally looks like a scooter.

I'd say a Brammo Empulse R could fulfill your needs better.

Here's some specs. 100% Electric Motorcycle : Brammo Empulse and Enertia Home

Now it also does use Li-ion batteries but they are a bit different with voltage around 100v, hook that up to the lil scooter and it'll melt.

Probly the only reason why I don't have one yet is the sslightly steep pricetag...

Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 AM

Not trying to reinvent the world of motorcycling here Matti.

If you click on the Spec tab you will find it has about a 100 km range at 45 km/hr.

Just thinking, that in certain applications, it actually makes a whole lot of sense.