The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I am out of ideas :icon_cry:

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 03:53 PM
|

Well The bike runs pretty well now, but there is still a little something going on. It starts up really fast when it is cold, (with choke) then runs well but it won't rev past 6,000rpms, and if I shut it down and try to start it again it is really difficult. I have to give it a little choke and a lot of throttle. It also doesn't seem to have as much power as it used to, especially around 4,000-5,500rpms. 3 plugs are white and the #3 plug is a healthy brown. Thinking maybe a vacuum leak? Also fyi, I synced the carbs.

Old 01-17-2010 | 05:07 PM
|

Yeah, I have full choke, no throttle. I let the bike warm up for a few minutes, with the choke on full, and if I give it throttle or take any choke off it dies. I have to let it warm up with choke, take off the choke and then start it up again. It will start but runs bad, I give it a good rev and then it idles at 1000 rpms and is perfect.

Yes, she is idling at correct rpms when warm.

Old 01-18-2010 | 12:35 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

I think as Steve-o says she's running too lean.
Try running the bike with the choke on and giving it some beans, and if it improves you need to sort out the mixtures....................

Let us know

Old 01-18-2010 | 10:37 AM
|

I tried putting the choke on the other day and complete loss of power. What do you mean "giving it some beans?"

Old 01-25-2010 | 12:10 AM
|

I Pulled out the carbs again and replaced the seals between the carbs and it is much better now. But plugs 1 & 4 are still a but lean. I am going to adjust those pilot screws and if that doesn't work I will check the float levels again. It runs pretty well, the starting procedure is the same as before and when I am going along and have it reved at 5500 to 6000 it surges. What do you think?

Old 03-26-2010 | 02:44 AM
Default sorted or not?

Just curious,did you ever get this sorted?

Old 03-26-2010 | 02:51 AM
Default sorted or not?

Did you ever get this sorted-and if so,maybe you could say a bit about
the screw in the bowls-what does that do?(it is so low,looks like a drain,
but on closer examine,looks like a mixture screw)

Old 03-27-2010 | 09:28 AM

Pablo, I have been in and out of this thread over the past weeks/month, so bear with me if I am . I am NOT a "know it all", I just know how frustrating an issue like this can be!

The carbs have various circuits and jets, right? They are used at various speeds and throttle openings. If when u have the engine warmed up, and open the throttle all the way, use are using the main jet, (and maybe the others too). My point is to verify which part of the "throttle opening" is causing the issue. If the plugs are "white/very light" and you have not run the bike at WOT under load, your mixture is DANGEROUSLY VERY LEAN.

I can tell you, from experience with hotrod VWs, PWCs and motorcycle carbs. that if the main is not flowing correctly the rest of the system won't work correctly.(beyond 1/4 throttle)
If the pilot jets are blocked it will only effect very part throttle, and once past that it will work "ok" but not really right.

If it were me, I would start again, and verify; good fresh fuel, screens in tank are flowing correctly, fuel is flowing correctly from tank when vacuum is applied, float level is correct ( set using the procedure in the repair manual, which was different than I had done it with other carbs), then verify that ALL jets are correct size, clean and clear, then make sure no debris is in the carbs, ( I have fixed a problem, just to have it come right back from debris in the carbs/fuel system), then set pilot screws to factory spec., and try again.

I am sure that you have probably checked these areas already, but something is still not correct so something is not right.

I feel your pain, I had my carbs off 6 times over 2 month before I got them right.
If U think I may be able to help, u can call me, PM me for my number, I'm in Central time zone.
Best of Luck To YOU.

Last edited by tomttt; 03-27-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: incorrect info

Quick Reply: I am out of ideas :icon_cry: