The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Harley Davidson request tax dollars

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know **** about the tax $ stuff, being a POME living in Australia, but have never been interested in owning a Harley. The old ones are way cool but, as told to me by an owner (a cop who pulled me up on the CBRF), you need a support vehicle to go everywhere with you. The VRODS are a nice looking bike IMO and go hard as well as around corners. They're hugely over priced though.

The biggest thing that would put me off ever owning an HD is the thing that makes most (not all!) buy them...the image thing. So many ******* get around wearing all the gear that don't even own a bike of any kind, yet they tough it up. It's got me f#cked.

If I was after a big cube cruiser it's be a Strat or a Vulcan or similar. If I was after a retro looking bike with modern kit, it'd be a Triumph for sure.

I've spoken to people who want to get a bike 'one day' and it's either "I'm going to get a Harley" or "I'm going to get a Ducati". The second one would kill an inexperienced rider who pushed it hard and to the first option I ask them why. The response is usually "Oh' I dunno". Pratts! A lot of them should first consider getting a job to pay for any bike at all!

Sorry lads...I started raving..

Old 12-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was picking TYB up from a mate's place last Sunday and got seriously held up by two HDs driving the wife's Forester. It's a bendy, country road with a few short straights. They were dawdling (sorry...cruising) but riding too close together to split them into two moving road blocks. On the CBR I'd have barely noticed them but I took a deep breath, turned the CD up and just chilled behind them. It was quite interesting really. One hit a pothole mid corner and the whole thing twitched and both were barely leaning at all.

I don't critisize another rider for their choice of machine but would just like them to either ride fast enough to not get in the way or ride far enough apart to allow other road users to overtake them one at a time.

BTW, they looked pretty funny from the back with their knees sticking out sooo far...maybe that's why they were going so f'n slow...Wind resistance

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been an interesting read.

I've only driven one harley and it was an 898? 848? 8XX whatever it is Sportster Iron.

Was kind of fun but I would never ever in a million years buy one.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by natedieself4i

i've only driven one harley and it was an 898? 848? 8xx whatever it is sportster iron.
883 Sportster. To Harley people, this is a girl's bike.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm not sure what the mystique is about Harleys - maybe the heritage, being all-American and all that. IMO that's all they have going for them,
People dress up like it's a masquerade party. Doctors and lawyers and their wives who dress normal during the week don brand spanking new leathers and hop on their new $25,000 HD and head down to the ice-cream shop. They are 'fake' biker outlaws. I guess they think they are looking mean or something and get off on it. What's interesting is that HD would not be around if it weren't for the Government contract of WWII where the Gov. went to HD and Indian and asked for a 500cc bike and HD built the 740cc WLA bike instead to seal the deal. Indians were better and made a wide variety of products that incorporated their bikes. Too bad to see them go.

The outlaws ride HD's because that's what was around when they were getting established. If Goldwings were around and plentiful in 1948 the outlaw bikers would be riding them around instead.

LINK

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
883 Sportster. To Harley people, this is a girl's bike.
it vibrated enough I can see why.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well simply put I see the Harleys as the peoples bike of the USA
kinda like the Volkswagon was to zee Germans when it came out.
The VROD shoulda been called the VWROD .......
A Beetle and a Harley kinda have to same "ring" to it for me in fact
almost sound the same too . But the Beetle is waay cooler and
handles much better imo.

yuk yuk yuk .....LOL

Last edited by Sprock; 12-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic

having said all that ....WTF would I know ... I buy road bikes for WAY!! different reasons to nearly all Harley riders ....lolol
Got mine cause I have a really big ... uh, large reserve of cash, ya that's it

Originally Posted by CBRclassic

I seriously laugh when 30 of them cruise past our farm here ..... they look dam stupid , doing 50mph tops !!! lolol
I generally cruise around 75ish ... but I did have to air it out on 1 occasion and saw 134 on the GPS. It had more ooomph left but honestly, the suspension is way to squirrelly to suit my likes. It is best left to comfy 80mph sweepers and eating up miles of asphalt at a time

So I guess my point, and ya, I gots one, or two, is that it's better on two wheels than 4. And most Hardley Abletorun riders are douche bags ...

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson request tax dollars