The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Go Pro Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Pro Cameras

Just wondering if anyone has a Go Pro here and which one you have? I'm looking at the Hero 3 Black edition which is the latest greatest from Go Pro it seems. Its expensive at just under $500 here in Oz but seems to have all that you need in a camera. Has anyone got the cheaper silver version. If so do you find that sufficient for what we want on the bike ? There is a difference of 1MP in still camera shots which doesn't worry me that much but it seems the difference in the HD video quality between the silver and black editions is a fair bit. The Black goes to 1080p HD with 60fps while the silver offers 720p with 30fps HD. The Black also has the remote which would be a great thing to have on the bike. These cameras are very much a case of you get what you pay for. I just dont want to over capitilise if the black edition is to much for what I want to get out of it on the bike. I will also use it for other stuff but the bike will be its main use. I want to invest in a decent camera that will last me a long long time and give me top quality video. I can afford the black one but if the silver one can get me out of trouble I'm happy to get it. Thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take on it (and I'll be referencing US currency, but I think the AUD and USD are pretty similar at this point).

The black edition is great because you have better slow-mo capture (higher fps), it has a battery standby mode, you get better resolution and the remote you get with it is $70 so technically you're just paying $30 more for a better camera from the silver. Now here are the cons, I've heard the current firmware kinda sucks and makes the battery standby mode suck up juice, the higher resolution isn't currently available for most TVs/Monitors and YouTube is far from being able to convert the highest resolution the Black has to offer and if you use a smart phone, the remote is kind of redundant as you can just get an app to control the camera via Wifi.

Wait... I just skimmed over your post again, maybe the Australian market GoPros are different, but the Silver goes up to 1080 and the Black goes to like 1200 something here. Anyways, I'll leave what I wrote so far anyways just in case you're comparing the Silver to the White edition.. in which, don't bother with the White edition because it's just a GoPro1 HD with wifi.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM

I bought a cheap ($40) Emerson video camera for bicyclists. After doing photography for decades, I wanted to try out video. It's very light, in a waterproof housing, and mounts on a bicycle helmet or handlebar. It can do 5M in picture mode or 1280X720 in video.

I mounted it on the handlebar of my GS1000, and posted some videos under Short Mountain Rides in Road Trips: Road Trips - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners. My 34-year-old bike vibrates so much that the video is barely watchable. Another problem is that I used Windows Movie Maker which come in Windows XP. Better software might have given a better picture. Another quality thing to look for is the lens. Mine is only about 1/8-inch-wide.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

I picked up the Go Pro Black Edition today. It actually goes to 1440 HD which atm isnt usable but is more or less future proof for when those TV's are available. I am certainly happy with the 1080p ( 60fps ) I can play with atm. I have purchased a few cameras off Ebay over the years and none of them did what I wanted them to. I thought I might as well spend the money on a decent camera that will last me a long time. I have the App working well and your right you can only use either the App or the remote at the one time BUT both have their uses in that the App allows you to see what the camera is looking at ( preview function ) and while you can use it as a remote if you want to the remote can be attached to the bars or somewhere around the controls of the bike and can be used with a gloved finger. On the move the phone app would not be any use at all. I'm going to get the chesty mount as well as the suction cup one and that should do me along with the ones that come with it. I'm looking forward to playing with it and seeing what can be done with it. Thanks guys.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice, but it's hard to go wrong with the GoPro. Congrats on the purchase. You can always get the touchscreen LCD add-on which comes with an extended waterproof case if you want to have a constant viewfinder.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Registered Users
Default go pro

I have a Go Pro hero 2 and its been really good.You have to use name brand cards in it though as the cheap ones dont work.Dont know how,thought an SD card was an SD card but they are not all equal.I paid £200 for mine here in the UK and it came with all the fittings to go on my bikes.I got it for trackdays to use on my SP1 and mounted it using the sticky clips on the side of the fairing.It gave superb sound and images.Mounted it on the screen on the CBR and filmed the ride home from work using the vacuum holder and being mounted up higher gave a much better film.They are expensive and you dont get much for your money but do get good results.