The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

cb1000 to cbr1000f

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb1000 to cbr1000f

I have a 1994 cb1000 that i would like to make run like the hurricane. I recently purchased a set of cams out of a cbr1000f and am bidding on a carb set off a 1994 cbr1000f. Is this all i would need to convert it over? Is there anything else i should do while i am at it? The bike currently has a full Two Brothers exhaust, unifilter, and has been rejetted. How would i need to jet the hurricane carbs for this setup? I also wondered what it would take to add the 6speed to give me an extra gear. I cant find much info on this topic so that is why i made this thread.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

The Cb1000 is a perfectly fine bike. To be honest I think your time would be better spent trying to figure out how to stick a jet engine in a submarine.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

'gotta go with TK on that.

If a big Honda in any trim ain't enough to thrill ya'. You might have bought the wrong bike.

A CB1000 is the epitome of the UJM, a little de-tuned from the Hurricanes but I wouldn't screw with it too much.

Besides, the bugs in your teeth taste just as good no matter what you ride.

Ask SB.

He's an expert on the subject

Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM

I read about this in one of the magazines back in the mid-nineties. As I remember, the cams were the most important thing to get the CB to CBR status. I would change the sprockets before I would try and get a six-speed.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM

I bought the cams and the carbs for a good deal. I thought it would be a cheap horsepower upgrade. The bike is comfortable and runs pretty good. I just wanted a little more out of it. I didn't think it would affect reliability too much since I was using all oem parts. Does anyone know the cam specs for both bikes. I would to see how different they are

Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with Teeks and Woof -
You might have bought the wrong bike.

Sorry but I think you should keep the CB for what she is.
Trying to make her into something she was never designed to be is a mistake IMHO.
And it's not just cams, what about brakes, suspension, fairings (whatever will fit) let alone the gearbox mod !
You'll spend a lot and have nothing more than a CB1000 which will have LOST value.

Fit a set of sprockets to the CB -1 front, +2 rear teeth if you want her to go a little better.
Spend some on decent shock for the rear and add stainless hoses to the brakes (front only)

Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Ryan,

As with the guys above and their eloquent statements on the conversion of the CB to the CBR, I find it a lot easier to buy a dilapidated CBR and fettle it up

And as Woof stated, I'll ride anything, because any two wheeled ride beats the pants of travel in a cage! Particularly for touring.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM

I like the upright seating position of this bike. It seams fairly comfortable. I guess i wasnt clear in what i wanted. I was lookin at a motor/transmission on ebay and was looking at my options if i had issues with my current setup. I really just want to squeeze a little more out of the motor, not looking to redesign the wheel. I understand what you all are saying. The wife isnt a huge fan of the cbr's, so this is as close as i can get. I also love to tinker. So this seemed like an easy upgrade. I have read a little on the cam chain and tensioner. Is there anything i need to replace or upgrade if i get in the motor to do the cam swap?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Agree with Teeks and Woof -
You might have bought the wrong bike.

Sorry but I think you should keep the CB for what she is.
Trying to make her into something she was never designed to be is a mistake IMHO.
And it's not just cams, what about brakes, suspension, fairings (whatever will fit) let alone the gearbox mod !
You'll spend a lot and have nothing more than a CB1000 which will have LOST value.

Fit a set of sprockets to the CB -1 front, +2 rear teeth if you want her to go a little better.
Spend some on decent shock for the rear and add stainless hoses to the brakes (front only)
I haven't seen any aftermarket anything for this bike. Where would be the best place to find the shocks and hoses? And why do you say "front only"?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilryan
I haven't seen any aftermarket anything for this bike. Where would be the best place to find the shocks and hoses? And why do you say "front only"?
I think Shadow is advising front only for the braided hoses because it can be all too easy to lock up the rear wheel.

Sprockets can be bought on e-bay quite easily for almost any bike. Or alternatively try

The UK

Quick Reply: cb1000 to cbr1000f