CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   The Hurricane Saloon (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/)
-   -   cb1000 to cbr1000f (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/cb1000-cbr1000f-145607/)

lilryan 03-27-2013 12:57 AM

cb1000 to cbr1000f

I have a 1994 cb1000 that i would like to make run like the hurricane. I recently purchased a set of cams out of a cbr1000f and am bidding on a carb set off a 1994 cbr1000f. Is this all i would need to convert it over? Is there anything else i should do while i am at it? The bike currently has a full Two Brothers exhaust, unifilter, and has been rejetted. How would i need to jet the hurricane carbs for this setup? I also wondered what it would take to add the 6speed to give me an extra gear. I cant find much info on this topic so that is why i made this thread.

Thanks
Ryan

kiwi TK 03-27-2013 06:07 AM

The Cb1000 is a perfectly fine bike. To be honest I think your time would be better spent trying to figure out how to stick a jet engine in a submarine.

wooferdog 03-27-2013 06:31 AM

'gotta go with TK on that.

If a big Honda in any trim ain't enough to thrill ya'. You might have bought the wrong bike.

A CB1000 is the epitome of the UJM, a little de-tuned from the Hurricanes but I wouldn't screw with it too much.

Besides, the bugs in your teeth taste just as good no matter what you ride.

Ask SB.

He's an expert on the subject

slowpoke 03-27-2013 11:52 AM

I read about this in one of the magazines back in the mid-nineties. As I remember, the cams were the most important thing to get the CB to CBR status. I would change the sprockets before I would try and get a six-speed.

lilryan 03-28-2013 08:26 AM

I bought the cams and the carbs for a good deal. I thought it would be a cheap horsepower upgrade. The bike is comfortable and runs pretty good. I just wanted a little more out of it. I didn't think it would affect reliability too much since I was using all oem parts. Does anyone know the cam specs for both bikes. I would to see how different they are

Shadow 03-28-2013 02:32 PM

Agree with Teeks and Woof -
You might have bought the wrong bike.

Sorry but I think you should keep the CB for what she is.
Trying to make her into something she was never designed to be is a mistake IMHO.
And it's not just cams, what about brakes, suspension, fairings (whatever will fit) let alone the gearbox mod ! :eek:
You'll spend a lot and have nothing more than a CB1000 which will have LOST value.

Fit a set of sprockets to the CB -1 front, +2 rear teeth if you want her to go a little better.
Spend some on decent shock for the rear and add stainless hoses to the brakes (front only)

Sebastionbear1 03-28-2013 04:57 PM

Welcome to the CBR Forum Ryan,

As with the guys above and their eloquent statements on the conversion of the CB to the CBR, I find it a lot easier to buy a dilapidated CBR and fettle it up :D

And as Woof stated, I'll ride anything, because any two wheeled ride beats the pants of travel in a cage! Particularly for touring.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers, SB

lilryan 03-28-2013 06:07 PM

I like the upright seating position of this bike. It seams fairly comfortable. I guess i wasnt clear in what i wanted. I was lookin at a motor/transmission on ebay and was looking at my options if i had issues with my current setup. I really just want to squeeze a little more out of the motor, not looking to redesign the wheel. I understand what you all are saying. The wife isnt a huge fan of the cbr's, so this is as close as i can get. I also love to tinker. So this seemed like an easy upgrade. I have read a little on the cam chain and tensioner. Is there anything i need to replace or upgrade if i get in the motor to do the cam swap?

lilryan 03-28-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1224285)
Agree with Teeks and Woof -
You might have bought the wrong bike.

Sorry but I think you should keep the CB for what she is.
Trying to make her into something she was never designed to be is a mistake IMHO.
And it's not just cams, what about brakes, suspension, fairings (whatever will fit) let alone the gearbox mod ! :eek:
You'll spend a lot and have nothing more than a CB1000 which will have LOST value.

Fit a set of sprockets to the CB -1 front, +2 rear teeth if you want her to go a little better.
Spend some on decent shock for the rear and add stainless hoses to the brakes (front only)

I haven't seen any aftermarket anything for this bike. Where would be the best place to find the shocks and hoses? And why do you say "front only"?

hawkwind 03-29-2013 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by lilryan (Post 1224337)
I haven't seen any aftermarket anything for this bike. Where would be the best place to find the shocks and hoses? And why do you say "front only"?

I think Shadow is advising front only for the braided hoses because it can be all too easy to lock up the rear wheel.

Sprockets can be bought on e-bay quite easily for almost any bike. Or alternatively try

The UK