How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Heat shielding

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shielding

Not much of a problem in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment but down under where it's stinking hot this may help. I have seen many people complaining how hot these old girls are to ride in the summer. I've been thinking about it & have even mentioned in a previous post that I was going to make a heat shield from the material that firemen etc use in high heat situations. Finally I've started. I have trialled my first prototype over the last two weeks. During that time we have had temperatures as high as 46c (114f) but I only rode up to 36c (97f). Normally it's extremely hot in the crotch & thighs so much so that last summer I was burnt red raw.
All I have done is to replace the shielding that is under the tank with the new material. The shiny side down to reflect the heat & the flame retardant wool up to insulate. I have gone almost to the front of the tank past the tabs that hold the standard shield on & have gone back as far as the tool box under the seat. I have also hung it down just past the join where the tank & fairing meet. I have cut slots so that I can still access all adjustments. I have also glued using water based contact a small piece minus the wool to seal the strip where the front fairing meets the side panels.
The difference is remarkable. I still get hot but nothing like before. The heat is now down on my calves (to be looked at later) but the crotch & thighs are no more than a little warm. I recommend the mod as there are no other adverse reactions that I have found ...yet! & the section that hangs over the tool box makes a great table to put tools etc when working on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Heat shielding-tmpphp4kzswm.jpg   Heat shielding-tmpphphfgctl.jpg   Heat shielding-tmpphpyrgrit.jpg  

Last edited by bluebeard; 02-03-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good bluebeard , if you get time maybe you can post some piccies please. Don't feel like getin my goolies barbecued this summer , prefer chicken.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Pictures are at the bottom of the first post. If you can't see them I can send them to you. As far as running hot, I would probably say no difference as all I have done is sealed up the leaks & restored the airflow back to how it was designed. The heat on the lower legs seems to be coming from the lower fairing cutouts so probably nothing that I can do there. Still that heat is nothing like the heat that used to fry the small fry.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea Bluebeard, where did you get the material from? (or will saying get you arrested?) :-)
Do you think a "fire blanket" would work? the reason I am asking is I have no heat protection at all on my bike, it was missing when I bought it.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 PM

I was lucky as I had access to the material. I think you could use just about anything as long as it's not too thick & won't burn too easily. Maybe try an auto trimmer & get some thin wadding or possibly some carpet underlay. Perhaps try a foam shop & see what they have?? I know of one forum member that was going to use a space blanket to stop the leaks at the fairing joins.
Today will be the test. I'll be riding to work in about 43C (110F). Up till now however it appears that the bike is running cooler??? possibly I have caused a better airflow through the radiator somehow. It's only a git feeling but time will tell.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default heat shielding

If you have a "space blanket" - (the one with silver on one side and gold on the other) you can use 4mm thick carpet underlay with the space blanket glued to it with the silver side showing.It makes a very good heat insulator if you don't have access to the good stuff that Bluebeard used, which is also VERY expensive to buy.
I'm tired of roasted goolies, too, and am planning on replacing my moth-eaten heat shielding with what I've described, and extending it further back.
I also believe that the heat is transferring to the battery, which will also cause it to fail after a while. It's just an opinion.
Nice one, Bluebeard !

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 AM

Hey Shadow. When are you doing yours?? It's now official. It really works. I have now ridden the bike to work in 40C (104F) heat & stayed relatively cool. Here is the strange thing though. The bike ran cooler too. On the gauge I would usually run about half way or just over on a day like that but with the shielding it was just under half. Noticeably cooler. All I can think of is somehow I may have caused a low pressure area behind the motor which draws more air through the radiator???? I guess.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heat shielding

I have a space blanket left over from my offshore fishing kit, so when I've picked up some underlay in about a week I'll have a go. I may even use some leftovers around the battery box area too, and under the front of the seat.
BTW my bike runs about 1/4 of the way up the gauge on the open road, and halfway up in traffic. It gets really hot around the multiplication machinery when you pull away after being in traffic.(That's with a heatshield on) I'll take pics if you like......
I suspect that the fuel will also be cooler in the tank too......should be ?