CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat

I have question about the heat that comes off the left side of the Cane. It finally getting hot here (well 32 degrees) and I thought I'd ask the experts from those really warm places (hi shadow) if feeling alot of hot air from the left side is normal. Like around your left lower kneecap.The right side is fine and normal.I thought maybe I'm missing some sort of a heat deflector shield or something cause it is freaking hot! Is this normal and I should just suck it up and stop complaing....hehe

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Default RE: Heat

On an 88 it can fry your thighs.....

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There should be a rubber flap inside the grill onthe left side cover.
It should look the one on the right side. With it in place, you should not be able to see the idle adjustment ****. Is it missing or is it misaligned?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Gill mine gets really hot also , last summer it was so hot it fried my battery,my reg. rec. also help a bit but i'm not taking chances this summer, i just installed a new thermostat and coolant. we'll see if it helps, there was a heat sheild on the inside of one of the sides cant remember which one,kind of like tin foil but thicker.fyi

Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out here it can get really hot, and if you're stuck in traffic and then pull away, the blast of heat that whacks my knees and other sensitive bits is quite unreal. Comes out BOTH sides, and the rear of the tank gets quite warm, too. Fuel can atomise under these conditions, and bike gets hard to start.[X(]

Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM

must be why it's called a CBR, Closed Body Racer!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More like Continual body roaster....
or cooks ba..ls repeatedly.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM

Hehehe.....too funny, you guys had me laughing outload here at work....

I'll have to check the venting as I dont get anywhere near that hot on the right side, and yes there are the foil insulators on the side panels on both sides.Perhaps Honda should have placed somesort of a coffee holder there to keep your beverage warm on the way into work!Funny, when I looked at the rubber flaps as they just stamp out one and flip it over for the right hand side. If you look at the inside you can see the print for the idle adjuster screw warning that is on the left hand side.....cheapos'

Thanks for the help folks!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM

I've noticed a few posts about the cane running hot just lately. Here in South Australia it's winter & I cooked my bike about a week ago. Dumped all but the smallest amount of coolant on the ground. Turns out the fan switch died. Upon research I found the fan turns on between 98c & 102c. Seems toohot to me. I'm going to look for a switch that turns on a little earlier as I too notice that in hot weather I cook my thighs. I find the heat pours out of the joins in the fairing but the same both sides.
Gill. I don't know how your bike is set up but I have two metal plates, one either side of the motor under the fairing that I believe help direct the airflow towards the rear & away from the rider. I'd be inclined to check if one of these has become dislodged or is missing.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM

new stuff called water wetter works great on dropping the or wire the fan direct

Quick Reply: Heat