How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Repairing broken side fairing mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing broken side fairing mounts

I had an idea the other day on how to repair a couple of broken fairing mounts I had on my left side cowl. I was in the local Bunnings store ( Home Depot ) and saw a pack of plastic coat hangers at the cashiers booth. The coat hangers are about 8mm in thickness and I thought it would be wide enough to take the brass female fittings the screws go into. Anyway I cut off a section of coathanger, used a 6mm drill to hollow out one end to take the brass fitting. It worked like a charm. The hardest thing was figuring out the correct positioning of the new mount and the length.

The old mount position was still visible so I could work out the direction the mount had to take. The length was a bit of trial and error. I screwed one into the cowl and had my son help me hold the side cowl in position in an effort to take some sort of measurement for length. It worked out pretty good with my measuring and estimations being ok....lol.

I secured the mounts with Araldite. I find it to be plenty strong enough. I know everyone uses other adhesives but Araldite is my adhesive of choice. It sets as hard as a rock and sticks to pretty much anything.

Basically positioning the mount and getting the correct length is the hardest thing I think. The coat hanger worked a treat for me. Its amazing what you can use around the house to get things done. A cheap and easy fix for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Repairing broken side fairing mounts-mini-fairing-repair-1.jpg   Repairing broken side fairing mounts-mini-fairing-repair-2.jpg   Repairing broken side fairing mounts-mini-fairing-repair-3.jpg   Repairing broken side fairing mounts-mini-fairing-repair-4.jpg   Repairing broken side fairing mounts-coathanger.jpg  

Last edited by Bordo; 09-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good old Aussie ingenuity!

Well done Bordo, and thanks for the " How To"

I've got a couple of those coat hangers at home, so I'll stick them in the Honda spares tub in the shed for future use

Cheers, SB

Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like it Barnsey - om all over that too - going to redo the mid fairing on my 87 with your
technique never would have thought of one of those hangers to do the job !

You could become a rich man lol

Last edited by Sprock; 09-25-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Nice one Bordo....these things can break your heart and question your sanity at times.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Banned

No worries lads. Happy to help. Its a simple thing but works great. It certainly beats trying to fashion a mount yourself. Like I said there is a little trial and error in getting the correct length and direction is pretty close already utilising the remnants of the previous mounts. I used PLENTY of Araldite on mine and built it up around the mount I made out of the coat hanger plastic. I'm sure you could do the same with whatever adhesive you guys use. You could probably even melt some old ABS plastic up around it as well. I new all I needed was something to take the brass fitting and I was right. The coat hanger seemed to be the best way to go about it.

I'd be interested to see how it works for you guys. Cheers.

Last edited by Bordo; 09-26-2012 at 03:08 AM.