CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Side Cover Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Cover Mounts

on my bike the side covers do not have the stock mounts(neither does the rest of the bike for that matter)i wanted to know how the side covers mount to the frame. i know there are rubber grommets at the back end by the seat cowl, so i am assuming that they are somewhat like how the cowl snaps into the bracket(#1). however, i have tried checking the diagrams from honda oem and they dont seem to have any bolts, screws or mounting hardware for them. someone with an F1 please let me know, this is driving me mad that i cant mount this how it was supposed to be. It looks like they are part of the side cover, mine has factory holes for screws or something. i also need to know about the front mounts as well(#2). thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/B371C42C9D2D45C4B394DA69267CFA82.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/5F9FAA4B680844C6B04DFAE0775CFD11.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Side Cover Mounts

the rear tabs (#1) mount up to a hole with a grommet on the rear fender.

the front tabs (#2) mount up to a tab with a hole and grommet on the gas tank.

they both just pop in. if the rubber grommets are worn, the fairing tab will fit loosely into the hole. the grommets are kinda pricey, i had bought about 10 of them because the majority of mine were chewed up pretty good.

important note: the rear grommet (#1) is thicker than all the other grommets found on the bike hence the different part number. all the other ones are thinner because they go on steel whereas the rear fender is plastic and thicker. there are 2 different part numbers for grommets, don't let the parts guy tell you otherwise or else you will be making another trip to the dealer to order the correct ones.

there is no hardware of any kind used to hold the rear fairings in place. it is mainly by tool-less tabs.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_02...00&parent=5070

item 20 is a grommet and looking just left of that is the hole for tab #2 located on gas tank.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_02...00&parent=5070

item 16 is the grommet for tab #1, located on the rear fender.

hope this helps. the only other thing holding the rear fairing to the bike is the stopper key body that slots into the larger side fairing.

sorry, you may already know about the above, but i'm just starting to realize what you are asking.

now, look at the inside of the fairings, do you see anywhere in the vacinity of #1 and #2 if they may have been broken off. maybe telltale signs of raisded plastic, jagged raised edges, hole that maybe shouldn't be there. if so, then those tabs need to be either redone or you will have to get creative. the tabs are formed with the bodypanel as one-piece. you may have to get youself some bondo and build up the area and make a replacement tab on the inside of the fairing. those tabs are thin and any nasty fall would break then very easily.

michigan_313

Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrasco

on my bike the side covers do not have the stock mounts(neither does the rest of the bike for that matter)i wanted to know how the side covers mount to the frame. i know there are rubber grommets at the back end by the seat cowl, so i am assuming that they are somewhat like how the cowl snaps into the bracket(#1). however, i have tried checking the diagrams from honda oem and they dont seem to have any bolts, screws or mounting hardware for them. someone with an F1 please let me know, this is driving me mad that i cant mount this how it was supposed to be. It looks like they are part of the side cover, mine has factory holes for screws or something. i also need to know about the front mounts as well(#2). thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/B371C42C9D2D45C4B394DA69267CFA82.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/5F9FAA4B680844C6B04DFAE0775CFD11.jpg[/IMG]
Rasco, on my bike, thers 2 sort of ***** stiking out that fit into those gromets, on one of the sides near the end thers a screw that goes into a braket underneath, the wierd thing is its only on one side thats theres a bracket. Also, I have the service manuel if ya have any questions or ideas. I have a few questions about these funky bikes myself,lol.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:58 PM

mine has screws with those snapover brackets underneath. my plastics look as if they were manufactured to have holes, however most F1s i see dont even have holes to begin with.

which one of yours has the bracket, #1 or #2?