How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Step-by-step windscreen replacement for 2008 CBR 1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step-by-step windscreen replacement for 2008 CBR 1000RR

Hello to all,
New to the site and have searched the net for step by step instructions for changing windscreens. I ordered a double bubble smoked screen form newenough.com and before trying to install, searched the net for instructions but still did not feel comfortable installing. I actually sent newenough.com an e-mail and asked for return information. I guess I was so damn worried about breaking off the two little tabs on the front. NOTE: The engineer who designed this deal needs his/hers privates shaved and rubbed down with honey. THEN and only then, slowly lower them into a pit of fire ants on 'roids.
Okay, here goes.
1.) Take the four allen head screws out and do be carefull not to drop the little washers.
2.) The rubber covereed wellnuts can be removed at this time. I used my fingers but a weaker grip can use small channel lock pliers. (Watch the paint on the tank and the glass of the dash!!!)
3.) Loosen the four 10mm nuts that hold the mirrors in place on the inside of the fairing. I loosened them to about 75% of the thread's length.
4.) Hopefully you'll have a person to help but if not just go slow and use gentle and even pressure during this step.
a.) Using both hands at the front of the windscreen press down while a friend pulls back on the top of the screen (towards the tail but stay on plane). If you're alone, use your left hand to press down at the front and pull the top of the windscreen out with your left hand. Look at the tabs and the relationship of the winscreen during this step. This will help dictate how much pressure to use.
b.) Once the front clears the plastic tabs, you're good to go.
5.) Once the stock windscreen is pulled out, remove the rubber fittings at the front and place in your new windscreen. Some do not require this step.
6.) Now you are ready to install the new windscreen.
Note: This is where most people break off the plastic tabs so go slow and be gentle.
a.) The wellnuts can be put in the two holes at the rear of the winscreen at any time so focus on the two in the middle at this point.
b.) After sliding the windscreen into position and sliding the two tabs into the holes of the windscreen at the front, put the middle wellnuts in; one side at a time.
c.) By loosening the nuts that hold the mirrors, you'll gain enough room to work the wellnuts into place between the fairing and windscreen. I promise, the wellnuts in these two positions will be a pain in your *** but slow down and relax, you'll get it!
d.) If the wellnuts don't seem to angle in properly, use the same small allen wrench you used to take them out and stick it through the fairing to pop the base of the wellnut throught the hole. Repeat on the other side.
Note: You may try to push the wellnut's large washer back through the hole (the inside of the windscreen towards the underside of the fairing) by putting a little vasoline around the washer first. I have one friend to do this but he did break one tab off because he got the screen in a bind.
7.) Okay, the front of the windscreen is secure with the eyelets in place over the tabs, you have the well nuts in, the button head screws are in and snugged tight and you have tightened the four nuts that secure the mirrors.
Now stand back and enjoy the "new" look. I hope this helps and isn't a duplicated effort. I looked every where but did not find this type of step by step instructions. Later, JD