How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

**NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

I've been away for a while and was wondering if theres a write-up for the older models--as I have an 02 F4i. Could someone like me the How-to?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if there is one on there.........but take the basic information from this write-up and apply it to your bike. The only thing you have to find is where to mount the ballasts.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Sept. 2011 Ride of the Month

Hey BlueFox, I couldn't find any info about the wiring of the HID's so that when you start your bike it doesn't interfere with the ballast and bulbwarm-up. Did you do anything to fix this or just left it as is, so when you start your bike the bulb momentarily shuts off and fires on again? I thought I read somewhere using a relay of some sort to take care of this/ thx

Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Retired Moderator

My bike is still setup so when I start the bike, the lights to turn off.

I believe http://www.tripageled.com/main.html carries a programmable delay you can wire in so the lights come 10-15-20 seconds after you key on the bike. One thing I'm currently working on right now is a way to keep the lights from turning on when the kickstand is down. So all it would be is just parking lights and the side marker light (third light between the headlights) Then when the kickstand is up, the lights would turn on.

I'm also working on a Hazard light modification for the bike too (since I've run into a couple situations where hazards would have been useful.) I'll update accordingly.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: t4rusaf

Hey BlueFox, I couldn't find any info about the wiring of the HID's so that when you start your bike it doesn't interfere with the ballast and bulbwarm-up. Did you do anything to fix this or just left it as is, so when you start your bike the bulb momentarily shuts off and fires on again? I thought I read somewhere using a relay of some sort to take care of this/ thx
I think the relay is more for the power savings on the battery. With the relay you canstart the bike, and then the ballasts fire. That way you save yourself from the big draw on your battery when it is at its weakest, trying to fire the ballast, and start the bike.

Blue,
+1 on the hazards,I also really like your idea about the kickstand trigger swt..... wait a minute that's it. There's already one in there to kill the bike yes.... hmmm reverse circut? bah I'll go back to my milk and cookies, and leave this to the profesionals

Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Icyalkn

Blue,
+1 on the hazards, I also really like your idea about the kickstand trigger swt..... wait a minute that's it. There's already one in there to kill the bike yes.... hmmm reverse circut? bah I'll go back to my milk and cookies, and leave this to the profesionals
Yep. The kickstand kill switch will also serve as a headlight kill switch as well. As long as the kickstand is down, the headlight relay will be cut off.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM

I bought these for my 04 rr. The thing I noticed about the superslim ballast kit is they separate the igniter and ballast which actually takes up more space, thanks to all the extra wiring. But if you get creative it is very easy to hided everything.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Retired Moderator

The small ballast and the separate igniter will still be less space because you can hide the ballasts in one location, and the igniters in another, versus having two huge bricks you have to hide "somewhere". The big ones are fine on the 03-06 models, but the 07-08 models, you definately will be better off with the slim ballasts, even if they have the separate igniters.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM

just thought that i should add this, but i guess HID Outdoor Equipment just updated their site but now their hid convo kits w/ the slim ballasts are now only 100 bux... check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...4696QQtcZphoto

Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ Yep. I mentioned them in earlier posts, but never updated the original post. They started carrying slim ballasts about 3 days after I bought my last kit from them. [:@]

Quick Reply: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07