How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: more info on wrapping your tank in Carbon Fiber.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up.. Question on that black pigment.. A different color pigment would = a different color CF yes ?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Different Pigment = different color under the CF not a different color CF unfortunately. But what you can do is get different color CF. The company that I bought my CF from makes many different colors and paterns. If you plan on changing the color of the pigment make sure its carbon based and /or in powder form because it can affect the curing time of the epoxy resin. So with that noted it will effect the time you have to work with the epoxy before it sets; worse case scenario is that your tank wont cure at all, however you would have to add way too much pigment to have that happen.

If you stick to black get lamp black, its super dark and deep and it wont react with the epoxy.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 AM

I think I'll do it the way you did it and clear coat it, JDM tailight red clear coat it, then clear coat it again once or twice to give the CF a reddish tint

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Sounds pretty cool actually, can't wait to see how that turns out, but I highly recommend making a test swatch first if you can.

plus its fun to have a little piece of cf to play with while your waiting for your tank to cure.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Different Pigment = different color under the CF not a different color CF unfortunately. But what you can do is get different color CF. The company that I bought my CF from makes many different colors and paterns. If you plan on changing the color of the pigment make sure its carbon based and /or in powder form because it can affect the curing time of the epoxy resin. So with that noted it will effect the time you have to work with the epoxy before it sets; worse case scenario is that your tank wont cure at all, however you would have to add way too much pigment to have that happen.

If you stick to black get lamp black, its super dark and deep and it wont react with the epoxy.

Hey, can you provide a link to the seller you got your CF from? Can't seem to find any on eBay

Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

yea go to the first page of this write-up and look in the "what is needed" section, I linked to the seller there.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to do this very same thing but using a mold I made of a tail. I was going to do the standard black carbon fiber using that same exact ebay seller, but I noticed they have that blue carbon fiber so I'm thinking I'll go ahead and try that.

that being said, should I even use that lamp black stuff? I've never seen that used, so I'm not quite sure what it would do to the blue carbon fiber. Let me know what you think about that...

great write up! I'll definitely use it when the time comes to tackle my CF tail...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Sorry for the late response, my email notification didn't alert me.

The lamp black will not change the color of the CF fabric itself. what it will do is provide a black background underneath the blue and make the imperfections in the weave harder to notice. I Highly recommend dyeing the coat before you layer the CF off otherwise you will either see light shining through or whatever you are wrapping.

Also to be noted is if your using a mold than you wont need this step as you will be using multiple layers of CF /FG. Just remember to lay your pretty layer first than the reenforcing layers. Im gonna be molding a few parts soon might try to fab up a front fairing stay if I find the time and $$.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 AM

Sorry about digging up an old post but what's the vinager for?