How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Install Mirrors with Signals in them...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Install Mirrors with Signals in them...

Ok, so i bought some new mirrors for my bike, it didnt seem too difficult to me, but hey why not post a how to. :-D
I got them from ebay, all the ones that look like this are the same pretty much.
Ok so lets go!
1. Remove Front Fairing Assembly.
2. Not necessary to solder new leads to the wires, but i like this option better. Instead you could use one of the press-fit splices. If you use splices, just locate your wires for now, dont connect anything yet.
Do this for the Green wire on both sides, and SOLID orange, SOLID blue on their respective sides.

Now you wont have as many wires floating around up there, i have a lot more going on that just this

3. Okay, so now youve got your electrical set, lets get the bike set for these wires. You will need to drill a hole between the two mounting holes in your plastics. If you forgot to bring drill bits with you to college, and are too much of a cheap a** to go buy a $2 bit, just use a drill and a phillips bit. Works like a charm!

4. Now lets go back to the bike. You will need to make a grove in the upper fairing stay for the wires, if you dont you will pinch your wires and no one will be happy. I used a coarse file for this.

5. Now mock up your upper fairing, take a mirror and pull the wires through the middle of the mount, and down the inside of your fairing, try to get them in the groove you just made. Now take your mirror and bend it all the way in the opposite direction your wires are.(if they are on top, bend it down, on bottom bend it up). This will give you enough slack in the wires so you dont fold your mirrors and snap the wire. Keep it like this, make sure the wires are in the groove and tighten it down.

6. Now run the wires down the inside of the fairing like so:

Connect them to your leads, or NOW splice them in.
Put your bike back together and you should be all set!!

7. Oh, and one of the wires was white, it looks horrible and stands out like a sore thumb, so i sharpied it black.

***Not too impressed with the brightness, tomorrow im going to put some new superbright LED's in there***

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job !
I think I'd have left the flushmounts connected as well, but that's just me.
And a heatshrink around the wires at the mirror - no more white wire. (Picky, picky)
Looks sharp !

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

flushies are still connected as running lights and signals. Heat shrink the wires...didnt think of that! I'll do that! thanks

Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Alright, so i ripped the mirrors apart and replaced the LED's with super bright ones, much better, but the viewing angle is still not as good as i want really so i might tear into them again soon.

And i shrink wrapped the wires...much much much better!! Thanks shadow!

And got meself my first and probably only decal, still in debate if i like it or not.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now da baby am pretty !
Nice work Redz -
I've often thought about fitting a line of LCD's along the back of my mirrors.
May still come to pass (if I c'n figure out how to get the mirror glass out)
Maybe just fit Blackbird mirrors................

Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Stick mirrors in oven at 190ish for 15ish minutes....get them really soft, then take two razor knives and run along the edge furthest away from the bike, then they just go POP!...and slide right out..lol

That would be sick to put some rear facing ones, like they have the arrows in the glass on cars..hmm...i hate it that you give me all these ideas at different times..lol

Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM

I would be very interested in seeing the rear and forward facing mirror signals...

btw redzintimidator, u do some real nice work. I always enjoy reading your stuff

Old 05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw redzintimidator, u do some real nice work.
I agree. Looks real good, man!