How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Headlight Delay Relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Delay Relay

This mod adds a relay to the low beam wiring to delay it from coming on untill the bike is running. This is a must for people with HID kits or that plan to install one. It was done on an F4i but should be similar on most other models and took about three hours.

Here is a diagram for the F4i showing how it works.
http://www.tunedinnovations.com/F4iH...elayWiring.gif (May have to right click and Save Target As in IE)

Supplies/Tools that I used, liquid and regular electrical tape didn't make the picture:

First step was to solder in the diodes as in the diagram. Silver lines on diodes show direction.

Those then got a few coats of liquid tape and regular electrical tape.

After removing the upper faring, I spliced into the headlight circuit w_here the harness from the right controls comes into the main wiring harness. (Blue wire w/ white stripe)

I spliced into one of the three yellow wires coming off of the alternator.

I added extensions on the factory wiring and ran a ground to one of the bolts for the faring stay.

I hooked all four wires to a relay that I had from an old HID harness and tucked everything inside the boot with the other connections.

Reinstall the upper faring and your all set.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Headlight Delay Relay

excellent, as soon as i have time, i'll be doing this...thanks a lot LV...much appreciated

Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM

I use the DEI 528T Time Delay relay, no need for diodes that I know of. Just wire up the relay, set the desired time delay (up to 90 seconds) and your done.

I bought the time delay realy off ebay for about $20