How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

DIY Manual Cam Chain Tensioner...

Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nut on the backside of the mounting plate is welded in place, just like the one on the outside of the motor. The acorn nut that actually rests against the tensioner - inside the motor - is Loctited on, along with a jam nut for extra measure. Loctite was applied, then the acorn nut was threaded on until it "bottomed out" on the bolt, then backed off a turn or so, then tightened against the jam nut. I did it this way, because originally, I was going to lop some of the threads off the end. When I originally drew this up, I was just going to use a grinder to round off the tip of the bolt and forget about the acorn nut. A person probably wouldn't even have to do that. I guess if I were to build another one, I'd go that route - just rest the end of the bolt on the tensioner and save yourself an acorn nut and jam nut.

And no offense taken by your comments! This whole deal is kind of a "blueprint" for anyone that wanted to make their own CCT. If you have an idea to make this idea better (or safer, more reliable, etc.), let 'er rip! I haven't been keeping very good track of my mileage since I installed this thing, but as of today, everything is still working like it should. This was installed on the 21st of July. I'd guess I have about 2,000 miles on it since then.