How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

changing spark plugs on 929 - possible valve check

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing spark plugs on 929 - possible valve check

The 929 owner’s manual suggests replacing the spark plugs at 16000 miles. Because my bike was running a little rich and had 17,100 miles, I decided to replace my plugs. I got the splugs from sparkplugs.com. They were the NGK brand and the sparkplugs.com forum member assured me they’d be the same as Denso. Plus I remember reading somewhere that the NGK splugs had platinum ground electrodes. Anyway. First remove the bolts holding down the tank and lift the tank There are some wires and pipes holding the tank so u may have to have someone holding the tank up for you. Or you could improvise:

By removing the fuel injector bar and disconnecting some wires, the tank came right off – just make sure to remember where everything goes.

Take off the screws to the top of the air filter compartment, put that aside, remove the air filter. (yellow arrow = front of bike)

Remove the top part of the fairing
Remove the screws to the stacks and put those aside. Heres a few pics of the stack and inside.
Remove the bottom part of the air filter. (That middle picture above)
Pull out these (x4 ):

You’re going to have to use a spark plug sized ratchet, probably with an extension, to reach the plug.

After undoing it, use a magnet tool to pull it out, the valves are in that black section that is circled.
These are what one of my plugs looked like. Had some spider-webs on em…
Use the magnet tool to slide the new plugs into place. Dropping em may mess up the gap spacing on the plug. Check the spark plug box for torque or tightness specs.
If you want to check valves, u have to take off a bunch more stuff to get this section off
My friend and I skipped this step. Work backwards and put everything back the way it was connected. Don't leave leftover ‘superfluous’ parts. Start it, warm it, ride it.

Bigger pictures here

Credit: big ups to my friend Amir (u saw his arms n head in some of the pics) for helpin me do most of it - woulda been suckass without him.