General Tech Stickies These helpful threads are the all stars and must reads ...

Battery Life

Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
BB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery Life

My bike isonly 2 years old and I've been having trouble with the battery. Right now, I only start it up about every two weeks and the battery is always dead. Now it won't even take a charge so I have to jump start it with my truck. I assume it's the battery and not something else. So my question is, where is the best place to buy a battery? I know you can buy a battery for a car just about anywhere, but what about a bike? Just head to the stealership?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM

If your battery is low will this cause the bike not to start? Or should the bike start even if the battery is barley turning over the bike?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Just an FYI, the "Battery Tenders" you can get at Wal-mart for $18.98 are great. They do a 1.5amp charge and switch to float mode by themselfs. They come with clamps and a quick disconnect you can wire right to the battery. I wired up my battery and tucked the connection up near the edge of the tail fairing on my F4i. I just leave the charger plugged in near where I park the bike and everytime I get off the bike, I plugthe charger intoto the bike itself.I also got one hooked up to my buddies RR. It took my weaker older battery and refreshed it after a day on float mode....I saw the same charger at Advance Auto for $32.98 in the same box and all. My Wal-Mart had about 20 of them in with their automotive batteries....

Ace Has Them as Well
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(wu...aspx?SKU=80525

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM.../dp/B0009IBJAS

Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

I just put a new battery in last night. Die hard on sale at k-mart.
I knew my battery was junk last year, but squeaked it out because I'm cheap, I guess.
I just filled it up, let it sit for 1/2 hour, topped it off, and dropped it in.
I'll dig this thread up in a year when it dies.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 PM

iight!!
I jump started my bike today after like 4 months!!
and found out the bike would not stay running after I take the jumper wires off the battery?
Is it a problem with the battery or something else?
The battery does not hold charge at all!!
thanks for help

Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM

all these dead batteries could be avoided if the $20 charger was bought at wal-mart. And those for low batteries, you MAY, MAY be able to save it with one of these chargers, they do 1.5 amp hours and then switch to float mode when fully charged, the super slow charge MAY save it....but I would just replaced you battery and get the charger to keep your battery good....I installed the leads and just plug it in everytime I park it, if you do this, it will be a while before you have to deal with a battery again....

Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM

What do you do for a new new replacement battery?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Great! thanks for the bit of advice......gosh people are soo smart haha

but for real thanks, and ill keep that in mind.

i sure hope Dimples has something to say about this

Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should also know NEVER to jump a bike off of a running car.. its a sure fire way to fry a CDI box (ECU) the voltage output on an alternator spikes the ecu
its NOT the same as a stator/regulator

also starting a bike and letting it run in a garage does NOTHING other than drain the battery

the ONLY way to charge or get output from the stator is OVER 4k rpms for extended time.. (RIDING IT)

bike 'charging systems' are really "MAINTAINANCE SYSTEMS" not really designed to 'charge' or 'recharge' a battery...

hence always use a "trickle system' when you are not using it for extended time

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Alot of work. I just used one of those portable auto battery jumpers. I plugged it into the wall and connected it to my battery, left it overnight, and SHAZAM! My batt hasnt died on me since.

But, what the hay, I should still buy a new batt especially since recharged/used batteries are'nt dependable. You would be better off just buying a new battery. Sounds like a good deal anyways...

(or, of course, go for the admin suggestion)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Life