General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont start...possible carb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start...possible carb?

ok guys ive got a 93 cbr f2 and love it. just a couple months ago i replaced the spark plugs and put a couple of gallons of fuel in it for the summer riding after it sitting since last year. it started right back up without any issues. well i didnt turn the fuel switch off at the petcock becuase i didnt think it would sit for more then a couple days before i hopped on it and drove. well it ened up being about two months and now it wont start. it turns over just no bang. i sprayed a little starting fluid in and it started and quickly died. so i pulled out the plugs and they looked black so i figured i would just get new ones......still didnt fix the problem. wont start unless i spray some starter fluid and then it only runs for a couple seconds? any ideas. im guessing the carbs need to be done?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM

probably, yea.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM

I dont see only a few months creating carb issues. Unless you pushed the tarnished fuel into the carbs from the tank when you put new gas in.

I would check to make sure you have fuel flow before taking the carbs apart. Pull the fuel line off the carb rack and see if gas is flowing. If it is, open the fuel drains on each carb to see if gas comes out. theres a good chance you have water and grime in the bottom of the carbs, and there is also a chance draining the bowls will remove most of it. After draining the carb bowls, try to start it again and see if it starts.

If it doesn't start, then you should pull the carbs and clean them.

If you pull the carbs and they are tarnished, I would probabaly drain the tank completely and put all new fresh gas in as well.