General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005 | 03:25 PM
Default Won't start - Help!

First off, i am new to the forum and look forward becoming a part of the community. With that being said i have a 01 cbr 600 f4i.

I have tried everything and it cranks fine, turns over occasionally but just wont start....

A little background - I was in process of storing it for the winter so i ran fuel system cleaner through it. Its being stored at my parents home, which i dont live in, so my brother was running it every couple of days and revving it up, thus leaving the battery with a charge. He went to start it after a few weeks of running it once a week for a while and it just wouldnt go. Although the bike didnt run out of gas (shut off while running the last time) it may have not had enough to start back up. (he didnt realize it was low on gas) so he continued to try to start it. I went home and filled it with premium. Still wouldnt go. I tried pushing and popping, Still wouldnt go. So bottom line is im not sure whether it was run out of gas or just wont start.

After reading and searching through a few posts i will next check the red FI light to see if there is a code showing. But my first thought is to check the spark plugs. I have never taken apart a bike before, so i am a little hesitant to do so. Also, I guess i should check the fuel regulator, but i think it may be a little too technical for me.

I would like to start with the most simple things to try and get it going. I dont know much about bikes and this is my first which ive now owned for 6 months.

Any suggestions on what to try? I also was told that starting fluid is bad for the rings?

The battery is brand new but goes dead after trying to start repeadedly, so i dont think it is the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-29-2005 | 03:44 PM
Default RE: Won't start - Help!

Do you know if the bike fell over? If so, it will take a little bit to start up, but not what your experienceing. Just some noobie information for you. Make sure it's out of gear and was the battery ever changed? It could be that the battery just doesn't love your bike anymore... and you may need to get a new one.

Old 12-29-2005 | 03:46 PM

thanks for the info! The bike hasnt fallen over and the battery is less than 2 months old...It only dies after repeatingly trying to start it, which i would expect it to do...It is out of gear also...

Old 12-29-2005 | 05:41 PM

I believe it is your battery, replace it and give it a try first
even if it is brand new
you can't just start the bike every week and not ride it, it wont recharge, of course you did recharge the battery but those thing sucks.
When you store your bike put a full gas of tank

if the new battery doesnt work, I would check the sparkplugs, you might have fouled them

Old 12-29-2005 | 06:41 PM
Retired Administrator

First... the easy one. They are right... starting the bike without running it at higher RPM like 5000 or so will drain the battery. You are killing the battery at idle. Try charging it and see if that helps. It may turn over, but might not have enough power for the FI and other electronics to work right. If you didn't try to start the bike over and over while it's out of fuel... this sounds like it's the problem to me.

Second, bad news... if you keep trying to start a bike when it's out of fuel, you can burn up the fuel pump. They are designed use the fuel as their lubricant/cooler. Do you hear the FI kicking on when you turn on the key? You should hear the hum as the FI kicks in.

And yes… stay away from starting fluid.

Old 12-29-2005 | 06:44 PM

also check your fuse

Old 12-30-2005 | 10:22 AM

Thanks for the replys. I had my brother revving it to charge the battery(to simulate riding), so he wasnt just letting it idle. And the fuel pump does turn on when trying to start.

I was also thinking the fuel filter...If it did run out of gas, is it possible for stuff to get sucked in and clog it up?

Old 12-30-2005 | 12:20 PM

Don is right...if your idling high, switch it down. I can't recall what my bike is at, but I think it's about 1500rpm. Make sure your brother is giving slights revs and not throttling it. Let us know...

Old 01-17-2006 | 04:00 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to those who tried to help me. I havent the foggiest idea what the problem was but it started first try after sitting for 2 weeks with warmer weather in the ny area.

I can think of three things it possibly could have been:

-maybe it was just too cold and something froze which blocked fuel?

-it was just flooded and needed to sit for a while in warmer weather

-or whatever was clogging the fuel filter worked itself out?

well those were just some thoughts, but again, thanks for your help!

I decided that for the rest of the winter i am just going to bring the battery inside and leave the bike and battery alone. Also, I may have some NGK plugs for sale if the company i bought them from wont take them back...