General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing my F3

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing my F3

I've been reading some articles on how to "properly" winterize a motorcycle and it seems like a pretty thorough process. I have a 97 F3 and wonder what else I should do besides filling the tank and then adding fuel stabilizer, or is that really all thats necessary? I plan on keeping the oil thats in the engine now and replacing it along with the filter come spring. Any other tips are highly appreciated!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Default RE: Winterizing my F3

hmmm, i wonder why filling the tank is better than emptying it. ?

I know gasoline is not freezable but i have heard so much about guys de-winterizing and having to empty the tank and refill...

I dunno. I would just cover it, maybe make sure both wheels are off the ground for the term. (hang it or use stands) Detach battery cables...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on keeping the oil thats in the engine now and replacing it along with the filter come spring. Any other tips are highly appreciated!
Some people argue that changing the oil prior to storing it is preferable over keeping dirty oil in for an extended period of time. A battery maintainer is a definite must for winterizing. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on the subject.

hmmm, i wonder why filling the tank is better than emptying it?
I think the reasoning behind that is to limit the amount of air inside the tank, thusreducing the amount of condensation which can occur, ultimately resulting in rust.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a huge article on this but its too big to post in the forum, it just chops it off on the first page ... if you want a copy PM me and I will send the full document in word :-)

Jules

Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 AM

Filling the tank keeps condensation from forming inside the tank from outside temp changes during storage like incognito said. The last thing you want is a rusty internal tank.

remember, once you place the fuel stabilzer in the gas tank, run your bike for a few minutes. Its actually more important that the gas in your float bowls are stabilized from tarnishing. You dont want your jets to get clogged up with tarnish. I also start my bike once every weeks just get the oils moving around in the engine again. You can also drain your carbs in you dont plan on starting the bike throughout the winter. Again, its just something I do, I dont think its neccassary, but I'd go crazy from not hearing it running.

make sure your anti-freeze is up to snuff for the cold temps. A friend of mine cracked his engine a few years back forgetting to make sure.

I would pull the battery out and bring it inside. Batteries can freeze in really cold temps.

You could also go as far as to fog the engine. I use to do it on my snowmobiles, but those engines are easy to get to. A cbr's engine is little tougher to fog. But, if your not going to store it for more than a few months, I wouldnt go this route anyway.

I also move my bike around. I dont like the idea of the tires sitting that long in one spot. I dont know if its needed, but just another quirk I do.