CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

Just curious as to what all I need to do for my bike this winter to keep everything in good shape. It's in a garage but its not heated and separate from the house so its freezing out there. I have the battery on a tender, but other than that I haven't done anything yet....

Old 11-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Default RE: Winterizing

Other than the battery which you have handled pour some fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the engine for a few minutes to make sure it goes thru all the fuel lines and carb or FI. Lube the chain and put the bike on front and rear stands. Some guys change their oil and the spark plugs so the bike is ready for the spring. Other than that you should be good to go.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 AM

thanks man, appreciate it

Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oil change is not only so it's good to go next season, when oil breaks down it becomes acidic and theoretically eats away at the inside of your motor.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Okay sounds good...How do I change the oil? Didn't have a manual with the bike when I bought it....

Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you taking the engine apart at all over winter? If you plan to do engine work do not bother changing the oil, as you may end up draining it anyway.

If you are not doing engine work you will need:
A long skinny funnel, a new oil filter, drain plug crush washer (available at any auto parts store, just bring your drain plug with you to match sizes) and 4 quarts of oil.

I recommend 10w-40 Amsoil Full Synthetic motorcycle oil, a lot of people here run that oil. If that oil is not available and you need to get something else - Remember that car oil is NOT motorcycle oil, and you should always use 4-stroke motorcycle specific oil.

You'll need an oil catch can under the bike, locate the biggest bolt at the lowest point on the bottom of the oil pan and remove it.

Open the oil filler/dipstick screw to allow it to breathe while draining, when it has trickled down to a fine stream remove the oil filter and allow it to drain.

When it has stopped draining replace the drain bolt (and new washer) and be careful not to over-tighten.

Remove the dip-stick and use a funnel to add 3.4 Litres (I think, can't remember the exact amount but that number stands out to me).

When you're done adding the oil, stand the bike up vertically and check the oil level with the dipstick.

Run the engine for a couple minutes then let the oil settle and check it again.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its 3.7 with a new filter.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

Oil change is not only so it's good to go next season, when oil breaks down it becomes acidic and theoretically eats away at the inside of your motor.
O wow Should i be Worried then..Remember I just got the cbr and it was sitting since 99 with oil in it?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input...Changing the oil this weekend...can't wait for spring already!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 94cbr600kid

ORIGINAL: Hershey

O wow Should i be Worried then..Remember I just got the cbr and it was sitting since 99 with oil in it?
Don't take Hershey's comments as catastrophic thinking. It's not like old oil is going to dissolve your engine. Should you change it before trying to run it? YES. I'd also pull the spark plugs and pour a little oil in each cylinder before you attempt starting it. Drain the coolant and put new in there, flush out the old brake fluid front and rear as well. It'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Winterizing