General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Starting

Hey guys... i got a problem with starting. I have been starting my bike throughout the winter, but just recently i can't get it to fire. Now the last time i started it was probably about a month ago.. i think it might be the fuel cuz there was no stabilizer put in.I just charged thebattery and the starter is working fine.Any way i can fix this or if you have any suggestions that'd be awesome. Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Winter Starting

What year is the bike? Is it fuel injected? Can you hear the fuel pump kicking in when igniton is turned on etc etc?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM

you idiot... why are you starting your bike during winter storage? Fuel stabilizer is over rated for cold winter storage. i've never used it, and i've never had a problem. in anything i've stored over winter. cars, trucks, atvs, lawn mowers, you name it... i've stored it. there are no benefits to starting it, only side effects. what probably happened is because you started it you've over fueled it and now it's too damn rich to combust. you have any idea how much fuel is blasted into the intake during a cold start? an *** load. if it has started, the spark plug are probably all fouled out as a result of super rick combustion and are unable to arc. or is it the battery you're having trouble with?

my advice? cover the bike, remove the battery, toss it on a 2A charger for 5 hours, shelf it, and walk away. leave it alone until you're ready to toss some REAL mileage on it. i don't know how many times you've started it, but i'll be willing to bet the oil is loaded with water from all the condensation that's happened due to your monkeying around. the very best thing you can do for a motor for storage is to LEAVE IT ALONE.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM

99 cbr... and no its not fuel injected... and knightslugger calm down buddy. i want to a dealer and they recommended starting it once a month for ten minutes. I put new oil and fuel in before i stored it so if there is moisture then i will find out in the spring. The oil should have no moisture tho... and i bet your probably right with the rich fuel. I might just have to get some new plugs in the spring

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: mauthman

99 cbr... and no its not fuel injected... and knightslugger calm down buddy. i want to a dealer and they recommended starting it once a month for ten minutes. I put new oil and fuel in before i stored it so if there is moisture then i will find out in the spring. The oil should have no moisture tho... and i bet your probably right with the rich fuel. I might just have to get some new plugs in the spring
well stop going to that dealer for advice! they are giving you HORRIBLE advice! the rapid heating and rapid cooling will condense moisture in the air and will line your crank case with it causing all sorts of problems. stop stop stop!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM

99 cbr... and no its not fuel injected... and knightslugger calm down buddy.
You know this is like the 13th thread on this exact subject since November. It's annoying to say the least.....and ****ty dealerships don't help.

slugger- Maybe it's time to make an educational and sticky thread about winter storage. Title it "3 Easy Steps- Everthing you'll ever need to know about winter storage".

Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bergs

99 cbr... and no its not fuel injected... and knightslugger calm down buddy.
You know this is like the 13th thread on this exact subject since November. It's annoying to say the least.....and ****ty dealerships don't help.

slugger- Maybe it's time to make an educational and sticky thread about winter storage. Title it "3 Easy Steps- Everthing you'll ever need to know about winter storage".

Yeah, I think most people honestly don't know that starting has those ill effects. They're fed mis-information and think they're doing the bike a favor and being good owners. I made the mistake twice but have since ceased.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 PM

dude- take your key and flush it down the toilet! i used to work part time at a dealership when i was incollegeand actually got to see premature wear caused by "starting up periodically", and not letting it warm up to operating temps. i know im just repeating everybody else who has commented in this thread, but, if you dont want to cause possible damage--,,,,,,,,,but im not tellin ya what to do, just lettin ya know what i'v seen- hope ya get it runnin tho.